The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: What's your favourite company for DVDs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
L&L Publishing, Meir Yedid, Magic Makers, Expert Magic, Magic Smith?
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
They all have their good and bad tough to say :o)
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-06-04 15:03, Majestic12 wrote:
They all have their good and bad tough to say :o)

Agreed! Good question. Tough choices.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Years ago I remeber only L&L and they have always put out excellecnt material, I just wish they would change the audience more often (too many faniliar faces). Louis Falanga does a super job of always putting out grade A quality material.

I also have to give a thumbs up to Meir Yedid, they seem to have a lot of videos of the old school magic which is great.

Third and finaly, I also have to give a thumbs up to A1 Magical Media, their stuff is very good as well. I think Michael Maxwell really does love to watch magic and he films his videos like he is a big fan.

The three listed above would have to be my favorite. I think one common denominator that makes them all very good is that the people who run those compaines really love magic. We could talk all day about one company that uses a short-legged flightless bird has their comapny logo but that is a discussion for another topic and this one was about our favorite.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I unknowingly (I think you know what I didn't know about MM) bought a MM DVD set. I thought their were too many menues that were hard to navigate.

I really like L&L but once an L&L VHS I bought broke on the 2nd veiwing.

MY Magic sounds good but I have never owned one.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
L & L is my favorite. Nobody tops their quality!
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1784 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
L&L gets my vote.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
L&L gets my vote too.
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
252 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
I recently got a DVD made by AOI. It's Daniel Garicia's Torn dvd. I gotta say, they did a fantastic job on the production of the dvd. The camera angles, menu options, clarity, soundtrack and Daniel's explaination are fantastic. Because that's the only dvd I've seen from AOI its tough to say that they're my 'favorite', but I believe they are also doing Garcia's other 3 dvds and the up coming Paul Harris set, so maybe I'll be able to say they're my favorite soon (assuming the quality level is the same).

Really hard to say which producer is my favorite. I tend to care more about the performer and whether or not I can use, learn from, or just enjoy & appreciate the material on the dvd; more than I care about who produced it. The only reason I mention AOI is because they seem to be a new company and that dvd was really well made.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
AOI?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
252 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
Jeremy-

That's all I know. On the dvd it says AOI. Apparently it stands for Art of Illusion.

Sorry I can't provide more info, all I know is the work they did with the Torn dvd is incredible. Perhaps someone else could fill in more info about the company and their projects.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Thanks!
I'll do a search on AOI.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
L&L and Bob Kohler Productions.
Click to visit:
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
L&L and A-1
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Kozmo and Magicman123 video company gets my huge thumbs up. The Cellini and Chevry DVDs are amazing. The production quality is off the hook. I remember sending KJozmo an email asking where I could get a cd of the Chevry opening music and he said, "Oh man, we had that written for the DVD." Nobody goes that far, except Magicman 123.

I just wish they would put out more stuff they are top shelf through and through.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
I like L&L because they have a lot of new stuff by great people of magic.
However I don't like that they spread 1 person onto 3-7 dvds. Too many dvds, and a lot of extra money after awhile.

I like Meir Yedid he obtained the rights to duplicate all the A-1 videos which had the best content and quality. They have excellent dvds and have 2 dvd sets with lots of awesome material on them.
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Anything BUT L&L
Can't stand all the actors and stooges with their over-reaction
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Well, anticoin, just FYI, L & L does not include actors nor stooges in their productions. Anyway, I just wanted to add to this thread by tipping my hat to Tim Ellis & Sue Webster. I have three of their DVDs (Runaround Sue, 24 Years of Living Next Door to Ellis, and Ellis in Wonderland). The quality of their DVDs is phenomenal. They really put some fine touches on their productions. 24 Years... and Ellis in Wonderland are filled with some great material! Their approach to explanations is pretty innovative and very entertaining. They're not very well known, but they should be.

Kaylan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
L&L is the Leader, but they have put out some dogs lately. I think the Docc Hilford DVD's out soon will put them back on the right track.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
L&L is best for quality and reactions. Truly seeing the performers at work. On downside to L&L is that you might tend to steal some bits from a performers act just because you like "that line" so much. But overall they are far superrior to any other publisher. If I had to choose the worst publisher it would have to be Magicmakers Inc.
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!