The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Doing Gigs for exposure?!?!?! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks mindpro for the thoughts, (if anyone hasn't clicked
the link you should).

This can apply to some paid events as well, adding to your
contract that your nome is to be included in marketing materials
can cost the client nothing but go a long ways for a performer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21286 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doing a show allegedly for charity just to benefit yourself seems a pretty crappy thing to do karma wise. If you’re going to be charitable then for God sakes be charitable! If you want to fund raise as a business, which is lucrative and legitimate then do that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I dunno...

After reading some of these posts, I'm thinking that if someone were to ask me to do a show for free, my response would depend on whether other "contractors," i.e., the hall, the catering, the decorations, the musicians, etc., were charging or offering discounts. If these are being paid, then no. If they're all volunteering, then possibly.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Doing a show allegedly for charity just to benefit yourself seems a pretty crappy thing to do karma wise. If you’re going to be charitable then for God sakes be charitable! If you want to fund raise as a business, which is lucrative and legitimate then do that.

Certainly There's nothing wrong with helping a charity out,
but I don't see any problem with the deal being beneficial to
both parties.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
For fun I refer you'll to this 2015 posting

Note the responses about "free gigs"

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......586041#0
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21286 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Fedora wrote:
Quote:

both parties.

Then don’t pretend it is an act of charity. Or look up the definition of act of charity. You will find that it doesn’t generally include a “quid pro quo”. If you want it to be a charitable act then be charitable is all I’m saying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Fedora wrote:
Quote:

both parties.

Then don’t pretend it is an act of charity. Or look up the definition of act of charity. You will find that it doesn’t generally include a “quid pro quo”. If you want it to be a charitable act then be charitable is all I’m saying.

Fair enough.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Just a note that we are paying $12,000 a month and a resort hotel room in Hawaii in our new venture HOTEL MAGIC LLC presents The Magical Mystery Show! Very high level. See www.Hotel-Magic.com. There is a special section of Vanish Magazine dedicating 25 pages to what we are doing. You can see that at www.magic.likes.fans/VANISH-SE. Shoot Ogawa is doing the first property in Waikiki and Nathan Coe Marsh is doing the first one on Maui. I need really great Parlor performers with 70 minutes of act. See release with what Magicians need to apply at https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/55885286......-england - Thanks for passing the word to the riht magicians! Jonathan Todd AKA StarManager
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)