The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Unjustified Actions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:
If I had real magic [. . .] I would want them to be hung up on the dilemma: "There is no other explanation for what I've just seen but magic/There is no such thing as magic"

But only IF you had real magic . . .right? . . . right? Smile

Jack Shalom
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Right Jack, how could the audience tell if he was using magic or just trickery?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The same way we do now. If it's trickery, the likelihood of messing it up approaches certainty at some point in the performance.

Of course, a klutz with real magical powers might accidentally change his mother in law into a ham sandwich.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-07-12 14:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
The same way we do now. If it's trickery, the likelihood of messing it up approaches certainty at some point in the performance...

Does this mean that when you are in the audience you look for appearing ham sandwiches and stuff as a tipoff when the performer is using real magic?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
That explains the ham sandwich in the front row at the Criss Angel show.

If I had real magic I'd do the 21 card trick, but name the card after the first deal. Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Oh, that was a sandwich on her lap?
POOF!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Or was she just glad to see you?
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So you go into the rain forest and there are two tribes--one of Real Magicians, and the other, Deceptionists. And there are two tribespeople standing in front of you. And you ask the first one, "Are you a Real Magician," and the answer is "Yes." And you ask the second one, "What did the first one say?" etc., etc. and so forth.

Then you eat the ham sandwich as you are very hungry.

Jack
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
If you could do magic tricks using real magic, you could never tell anyone, and you would never want anyone to find out.

That would be revealing the secret...
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
It wasn't "real" but in the world of Jeanie of "I dream of Jeanie", her powers didn't always yield the desired effect. In fact, she always seemed to be trying to right the wrong that her spells had caused.

In "Bewitched" we saw Aunt Clara using "real magic" with negative consequence all the time. Not only did she stutter, but she had a heck of time trying to remember the right spell to undo the mess she'd created.

Quote:
On 2006-07-12 18:09, Whit Haydn wrote:
If you could do magic tricks using real magic, you could never tell anyone, and you would never want anyone to find out.

That would be revealing the secret...

Not to mention how lonely that would be.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

It's all good folks, willful ignorance justifies almost anything.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tricks are a dressed up in nonsense to make them interesting but if the nonsense is not interesting what is the point of using it? Waving a magic wand about is an unjustified pointless insane action if it is not interesting. Insanity is a defence but does it justify the action?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

A line from Willy Wonka as spoken by Gene Wilder comes to mind about "a little madness"...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
Bugs: “And whomsoever art thou, in thy cast iron tuxedo?”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 09:42, Harry Lorayne wrote:
This magician doing appearances for small groups for little money was doing the milk pitcher, color-changing handkerchief and the vanishing cane. One night The Lord appeared to him, touched him on the shoulder and said, "From now on you will be able to do real magic!" So, at his next appearance, the magician performed - the milk pitcher, color-changing handkerchief and the vanishing cane! HARRY LORAYNE.

lol - reminds me of the "ant man" skit on Saturday Night Live where all of the superheroes were maikng fun of "Ant Man" because of his powers.

Folks- I am willing to admit that I do have real magical abilities. Unfortunatley, it is only with a plastic Drawer Box, and in order to make the magic work I need to tip the box one way or the other, and at the "moment of magic" there is a sound like a small bead falling.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
Shhhh! Be vewy vewy quiet, we're hunting muggles! Smile

Tommy
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
How did the magician cross the road?
POOF!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-07-13 10:23, kregg wrote:
How did the magician cross the road?

With a boat, imagining applause from a non-existant audience, and deeply in denial.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Wouldn't it suck if you could do real magic, but only with small items and you had to sprinkle wiffle dust on your closed hand in order for it to work?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-07-13 11:33, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Wouldn't it suck if you could do real magic, but only with small items and you had to sprinkle wiffle dust on your closed hand in order for it to work?

Hey, it's better than nothing. And the dust seems to go inert after a while so it gets lost in the regular dust in the environment.

Anyway as long as the FDA does not get involved, things will be okay.