The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Teaching magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
In fact the more I think about it...wouldn't these people have included contact numbers or addresses in their books and videos inviting us to contact them if this was truly their desire?

I think in some cases if they are well known they assume people will be able to find them.But some people do put their addresses in their books John Mendoza always used to. And because of the contacts he got from that he got another book out of it, The Mendoza Porfolio vol.1, lol.

Usually there may be a publishers address where obviously the author can be contacted via. When it comes to asking permission regarding their ideas I am sure they would like you to ask.

The downside of having your address available may be every Tom Dick and Harry ringing you with dumb or irrelevant queries; "Can you talk me through this Elmsley count again from that trick?"

re;
If you claim you haven't, I believe you'd be too young to have done it yet or too old to remember doing it.

So while it may be convenient or PC to take the moral high ground on this issue, all that's up there is a glass house and some rocks.

Which reminds me, I must return that book...but it was just for research purposes.Smile

Ah yes..but, I am certainly a lot more strict on myself as regards ethics than I was Yak. I think its a learning process, the more you see the full picture, the more you see what is wrong or rotten about it, the more you would like it to be better and feel like doing the right thing. I'd like to think there are a lot more people on the high ground, and the rocks are sponge. Smile

Did you ever dig out that Concertos book again?

Paul Hallas
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 15:36, Paul Hallas wrote:
I think its a learning process, the more you see the full picture, the more you see what is wrong or rotten about it, the more you would like it to be better and feel like doing the right thing.

I can't argue with that Paul. Well said.

And let us not forget that this process is just that. It is a process that is largely governed by your experience. Those that remain hobbyists or amatures may never see this side of ethics the way they would have if they became pros or dealers.

And I have dusted off Concertos Paul (did I miss one of your clever jibes there? Smile I went through it looking for phone numbers or invitations.). Love that book.

Speaking of phone #'s, anyone have Jay Sankey's?
Yakworld.