The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Whoo-Hoo!! I have a new favorite ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Here is Kenny Raskin's website:

http://www.kennyraskin.com/

There are photos of his act with the coat, but no video.

Here is a bio:
Quote:
For the past fifteen years, Kenny Raskin has made a name for himself as a leading physical comedian both in the United States and Europe, delighting audiences with a unique blend of theatrical pieces and clown characters.

He starred as the lead clown Everyman in Cirque du Soleil's universally loved Nouvelle Experience, and originated the role of Lefou, the comic sidekick of the villain Gaston, in the Broadway production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Kenny was also featured in Cirque du Soleil's 3D IMAX film entitled Journey of Man., as well as appearing as the Vaudeville Comedian in director Barry Levinson's film, Liberty Heights.

Before joining Cirque du Soleil, Kenny performed his one man show, The Audition, for over ten years in theatres, universities and festivals throughout the United States and on television shows in Europe and South America.

In the spirit reminiscent of the great old vaudevillians, Kenny explores the comic possibilities inherent in seemingly simple tasks, and injects an infectious sense of play into his performances, creating a true two way street between his audiences and himself.

The last few years has also found him to be a frequent player in the European Variete circuit, performing in theatres such as the Wintergarten Variete in Berlin and the Apollo Variete in Dusseldorf.

He has also performed his comedy as a part of many corporate galas for companies such as Sunrider, Abbott Labs, Coca Cola, Barnes and Noble, Erricson and Bell South, to name a few.

Kenny also teaches workshops in clowning and physical comedy.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Whit, are you sure Kenny used this concept first? In his bio it says he's been performing for 15 years, but Tina's performance of this piece was in 1990 (or before).
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It doesn't say he has been performing for 15 years. He has been a leading comedian for the past fifteen years.

He played a mime in the movie "Maid in America" in 1982.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I'm merely a manipulator who does tricks but is anyone in this thread performing along these lines?

Is anyone here at least thinking of creating a similarly 'wonderful' act? If not, why not?

Her theater appears very well received.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Okay, Whit. I guess Kenny is the genius behind that routine, giving credit where credit is due. But I'm still in love with Tina, and I wish I was her mop and trenchcoat.
Randy, I've thought about doing a magical theatre piece for years now. I can write and sing and even dance a bit, so I've got all the elements. Tina's act has inspired me and reminded me of the power of this sort of presentation. Now I just have to write the darn thing!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Well todsky it looks like you are well on your way! For the uninformed, hearing that someone wishes to be her mop and trenchcoat can definately turn some heads. Funny!

Her act sure has observed and exercised some of the most critical and praised elements of theater.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
The Mop or broom act goes back to vaudeville. And Tina does a great, great job! As long as the magic is there and the broom has a personality all on it's own I can watch anyone do that act.
cheers chris
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Wow

I'm totally in awe
First time I've seen that and it's amazing

Good time to see it as I'm looking for something thought provoking to take in a new direction .....

Hmmm to sleep, perchance to dream
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7042 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm surprised so many students are unfamiliar with this act.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
This is where I need to go. She inspires me, in my early stages of magic, to work on a CHARACTER. She has to be one of the best examples of Good magic and Good drama. I don't know about you fellas, but for me, gladly off to the drawing board.

Thank you Tina!

D*** she's good!
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
A wonderful act that has got it all! She's making the magic magical... I must say...