The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Cymbal Stands make the best Magic Table bases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
510 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
All

The best magic table bases are located in a pro music store, there called cymbal stands. I bought a Gibraltar cymbal stand an converted it into a balloon holder stand, when I busk or sold balloon sculptures. The best aspect about cymbal stands is that they are made to withstand abuse on the road. My cymbal stand has lasted for six years and still going strong, with no repairs needed.

I am more into mentalism these days and needed a table , so, I added a drum throne seat bracket and shaft to the cymbal stand. Then, I purchased a professional looking 26’x16’’black aluminum case and attached the drum throne seat bracket to the case. The set-up looks very professional. Gibraltar also makes a percussion table that would make an ideal magic table. Cymbal stands can be purchased from pawn shops for a reasonable price

Gibraltar cymbal stands

Gibraltar Percussion table

26’x16’’black aluminum case

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I too, made my table base out of a cymbal stand. They work the best and are built to take it long term.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
510 Posts

Scruffy,

What did you use as the flange? I used the seat bracket off an old drummer's throne, to support my aluminum case.

Walter
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Me too, use a cymbal stand for table.

I cut the pin point, then welded a bolt. For the flange, I welded 2 nuts, which are the bolt set, to a piece of metal sheet. Made 4 hole on the metal sheet, then mounted it with 4 screws to the table top.

Now I have several type of tables, with only one stand.

Just my 2 Indonesian Rupiah.

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Is there an easier way for a flange?...could you just cut off the top..where the cymbal connects then have the top threaded?....could you find a flange to fit at say Lowe's or Home Depot or a hardware store???
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Do you guys think the cymbal stand could hold a blammo box with a rabbit? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Mdspark, You won the contest!
I used a standard plummers flange and Nipple. I cut the stand down and the second section and soldered a copper fitting to it and treaded on the nipple and then soldered it also. To assemble I open the base, screw the nipple into the flangeset the height where I want it,and put the drape over it.
The cymbal stand I used is an inexpensive Dixon double braced one that I had in my trap case. (I have a drumset) The gibralter is undoubtedly better, I just needed one right now for a gig. Eventually I'll make a better one, but because I had the stand and 3/4 plywood for the top, It cost me about $4.00 to build my table.
James, If you go with a good heavy stand, yes, without question. some of the stands I sold at the music store I operated when open completely, would easily eat up three feet. They are very stable. Go to your local guitar center and take a look at them.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I used microphone stands and Mic holder flanges when I built my tables. I'm sure they aren't quite as sturdy as a cymbal stand, but they are sturdy enough for me. They have adjustable height, they are lightweight and fold up to a very compact size. I got the black ones, just as personal preference. My tops are made from 3/4" plywood and I really took time to sand and prep them to get a real "slick" finish. The flange is fine threaded and it screws on easily with no wobbling. I am really pleased with them. I used to have Eureka stands aand I was not happy with them at all.

Regan
Mister Mystery
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
About ten years ago I was trying to figure out how to put a top on an old three-legged center-post stand with removable legs (I suspect it may have been a 60's vintage mike stand, but I don't have a clue), and finally came up with a quick and effective solution using a 3/8" pipe nipple and flange. The nipple slid inside the upright tube but was just a bit loose, so I wrapped it with masking tape until it was snug. Then I used a set screw thru the upright to hold the nipple in place inside. The threaded part stuck out the top and the flange screwed onto it. It was amazingly sturdy.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey guys,
Mak Magic and folks have been selling these for years and making a KILLING!!! Eureka base id the typical name. I have spent any years as a musician and can gurantee this is the cheapest link you will find for cymbal stands.
Have fun and dig around thru the website. You may find more goodies.

Check out the Drummer Seats. These come with a Flange I believe. They are a bit low but an extension can be added using other parts. Just an idea and the price is GREAT! drummer seats

OK... here are the Female threaded Flanges.

Here is a Male Threaded Flange

You may want to call for the actual applications
Hey... who's da coolest?!

Chance Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
You are Chance. Smile Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I found what I had been looking for. Cheer
Ken
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sweetwater Music has great prices on mic stands. I haven't checked their cymbal stands, but all their stuff is priced extremely competive.

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7680 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use a standard plumbers flange. Take an electrical conduit connector and slip if over the end of the pipe and tighten the screw and you are done. Add super glue if you wish.

Chance is correct Mak as has made a killing on this "Eureka" bases for years. I used some the same companies other products so I bought some of this style also. To get direct from the company, you have to buy about 4 dozen bases. I would look on ebay for good used drum stands.

I also used another brand of music stand that had a wider base and was stable. I have since stopped using all of them to go to a more stable and lighter base.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
510 Posts

Chance,

The drummer's Throne seat bracket(3-1)I used is by TAMA drums because of the weight of my case and props.

The In Stand company sells a heavy duty model that looks a lot like a cymbal stand for $200.00
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
WOW Salazar!!! That is a GREAT DEAL!! Have you purchased one yet? What is the quality like?
by the way...VERY COOL Avatar!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 17:27, Salazar Magic wrote:
SteveWeissmusic.com

This is exactly what I've been using for Center/Side tables for the last 20+ years.

And a great price too!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
I prefer a lightweight show, with a lightweight, more compact stand.

I use the lighter weight sheet music stands, and get a threaded rod that fits precisely inside of the smaller telescoping tube. You can weld the threaded rod to the ridge of the tube, with about 3/8" protruding.

Make a flange out of a steel strap that can be screwed/bolted/riveted to the bottom of the table. Have the nut that fits the threaded rod welded to the bottom of the strap of metal.

You'll want the strap of metal to be just thick enough metal that you can bend the flange by moving the stand around until it's level. If it's thick enough, the table will stay level.

The small, welded nut makes this travel extremely flat, and the threaded rod is very solid. The hookup is very clean, almost invisible.

Let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

JF
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Quote:
On 2005-01-09 16:59, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 17:27, Salazar Magic wrote:
SteveWeissmusic

This is exactly what I've been using for Center/Side tables for the last 20+ years.

And a great price too!

Cheers! Smile

Can you provide measures for the table top?

Thanks
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Carlos,

23 inches long by 18 inches wide (57.5 cm by 45 cm, if I did my metric conversion correctly.)

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"