The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Confetti Maker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I'm looking to make my own confetti. I use lots and need an easy and quick way to make large quantities.

The crosscut paper shredders sold chop up the paper in pieces way larger then I could use.

Any ideas would be great.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Here is an easy solution and won't cost much. Purchase Tissue Wrapping Paper ( the real thin stuff ). Go to a Fabric Store and purchase a Wheel Cutter ( about $8 , basically a handle with a Wheel type blade )
Using the Wheel Cutter, cut the tissue paper into 8" x 8" squares ( do this with it folded up as it comes in the package so you can cut many at a time )
Place a pile of tissue squares onto a cutting surface ( about $12 Supplied at Fabric Store or wood or whatever won't dull the Blade ) and start rolling the Wheel Cutter in criss cross patterns, up, down, then horizontal until you have the size you need.
This is not as extensive as it sounds. You can cut a TON of confetti while watching a 1/2 hour sitcom and save a lot o cash. Pluss you can make whatever size and colors ya need.
Hope this helps.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
If you don't mind mostly white confetti, go to your local print shop or copy-shop. The chads from spiral-bound, comb-bound, and 3-hole punched notes are great for confetti. I'd hate to be the one cleaning up after you, though.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
When I was working with Kozak we used to buy confetti by the bag full. It was very inexpensive.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have also found that one can make confetti in a variety of "shapes" by using the little scrapbook punches form the craft stores, it takes a little longer, and if using tissue, do not get a complicated design as it jams up a lot. Also consider the type of punch, some use a lever,easier on the hand- and some are a push with the palm or whole hand- can tire you out rather quickly.
I do find that doing this while watching TV is a good use of the tv time! I like to call it multi tasking on the resume' !
While you cannot keep the paper in the full pack folds, you can do several thicknesses at a time. Then I take the cutter wheel and chop up the remaining scraps for the ones where I do not want or need the shapes.

Depending on where you perform, a larger bit confettii, 1/2-3/4 inch to a side, is a good thing, easier to clean, and longer "flutter time" for the audience.
Just some thoughts.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I got 30 boxes of flutter fetti (what they use at Disney and other big events) for $30. each box has 3 tubes and each tube has 6 packs of flutter fetti.
Each pack is about half inch by two inches (approximately) and stacked about a half inch high. I sometimes take those and cut them in half with a sheetrock knife it takes about a second, but usually I take one pack, but it in an empty tube (that they come in) then set it in place, on cue my stage hand throws the confetti (throwing action holding on to tube, don't throw the tube) one pack is what I usually use, but on occasion I use two, I have only once used three, it was to much.
I found it on sale (I think e-bay)

So for $30 I got enough for 540 shows, if I cut in half then even more.
I don't think you could make it for less it would take more time, so unless you have nothing else to do I would just buy it (just not at a local store, you will pay there)

Merry Christmas
Jason Byers
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com