The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Glueing Material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Hello,
I'm fixing up a vanishing dove cage and was wondering what type of glue to use to glue material to wood? I'm not sure what the material is called but it is that metallic sort of silver material. In the past I've used PVA glue and it's worked but is their something better. By the way I'm from Australia, so brands that are from where you are writing from, might not be sold here. I was just after the general type of glue to use. Also, is spray on glue better? Thanks heaps in advance.

James
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am not sure about the type of material you are talking about, but 3M Super 77 is the recommended spray adhesive for fabric to wood or metal.

Regan
Mister Mystery
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Would I get that glue from a hardware store or a material shop? Thanks.

James
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I found some at a fabric shop.

What exactly is the metallic material? There could even be a better type of glue out there for it. 3M makes spray adhesive for a variety of things.

Regan

Posted: Nov 30, 2004 8:57pm
---------------------------------------------
James,

I found a place in Australia where you can order 3M Products. Here is the link. Read it over, you might find a more suitable type.
http://www.embossingtapesupplies.com.au/prod06.html

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
When you say material do you mean fabric? Because all the items used to build anting are the materials.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Yes I mean fabric. I don't know what it's actually called.....it is really thin fabric though, so the glue might go through it. That's what I'm worried about.

James
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
They make some really good fabric glues. The best I have used are in spray cans. Off hand I cannot think of any brand names however any fabric shop should be able to supply it.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Check out that link. It gives descriptions as to what the specific glues are best suited for. Don Drake told me to use the 3M Super 77 for glueing fabric to wood and/or metal.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
Go with the 3M Super 77 as Mister Mystery suggests. I use it on all the Dondrake designs I have built. I have also used it for years on car panel doors and speaker boxes when applying fabric. If you don't have a wal-mart go to the local hardware store, they should have it. If not look for Duro All Purpose spray adhesive or one made by Elmer's glue. They work just as well but need touching up after a little while of use. There is the cheap versions but I would not recommend these as they don't have enough adhesive in them. Hope this helps.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
3M Super 77 is definitely the way to go. I've used a lot of different spray adhesives for various projects and this is the only type that I have been completely satisfied with.
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Would the 3M Super 77 still work if the fabric is rather thin? Im worried about the glue seeping through the fabric. Thanks heaps for all your help.

James
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think it will work with most thin fabric. Don't sray it on the fabric, spray the wood lightly and apply the fabric to it. Just to be safe, I would do a test and practice a little on some scrap pieces of fabric and wood. This way you can be sure before you mess something up.

Regan
Mister Mystery
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Thanks, I will try that. I'll let you all know how my new look Vanishing Dove Cage goes. Cheers.

James
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
The problem is that the 77 is a contact cement. If you're not lined up the first shot, you're in trouble. You can't reposition. Make sure that you keep this in mind when considering your use.

I prefer to let there be a certain amount of seepage, depending on the material, and using Weldbond, a glue similar to Elmers.

77 is very good about standing up on material, and not seeping, similar qualities to rubber cement.

JF
QUAXURAN
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of QUAXURAN
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever used Elmer's Glue on the palm for palming cards and/or coins? I'm thinking about spreading a thin layer of Elmer's on my palm and spreading it thin so it looks like my own skin but is unnoticeable. I'm hoping the tackiness on the exposed side would allow "normal" looking palming of coins and cards. When you're done, just peel off the "glue" skin. I'm planning on using it for palming and then switching a coin when I use a gimmicked coin (e.g., Bite-out-quarter, Karate Coin, etc.). What do you think? Has anyone ever done something like this?
Laters!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If the fabric is very thin or sheer, do not worry about the glue, spray or otherwise seeping though unless it is in big blobs. once all is dry, it should be just fine, and will in fact bond the fabric a bit better than just the surface. If you experience tackiness from the glue, rubber cements, and some contact cements, or two parts that are not cured at just the right temp. I usually use a bit of talc or baby powder to dust the sticky surface.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com