The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Bryce's Screen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I was wondering if anyone had built this illusion and whether or not they were happy with it?

I am considering building this, but would probably want to use something lighter than plywood.

Mike
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I have also been thinking of building this one (the plans are sitting here staring at me as I type). What other material are you thinking of using? If you tried to use pine or other solid wood, it would not have the strength needed to support itself. Are you thinking of maybe using aluminum?
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
You can find a board similar to plywood but it is made of a compressed fiber glass that may work. I do not recall the proper name for the board but I am sure the fellas at home depot can help you out.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
What about building it like theatrical flats (frames of 1x3 pine with fabric covering them)? I'm not sure what plans you have or how it calls for the illusion to be built, but I have owned a few models built in this fashion and it was rather light, and sturdy enough for my needs.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Here in the U.S., we have dovetailed hardwood framing wood that comes ready to assemble, even at 72" long. This is definitely an option, unless you need a really thin 3 1/2" stack, like I did.

For that, go with the plywood. Warpage is not that big of an issue, because there are things that you can do to compensate for any warpage, especially at the point between the two panels for hiding. I use pins at strategic points keep alignment.

Consider making a 5/7 panel screen instead of the 6/8 panels. It's awesome!
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
HI there , Its fuuny that people have been talking about Bryces screen. I actually saw Bryced Chambers 2 days ago who invented the illusion. Good luck everyone. Brian Cook
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Someone else mentioned seeing him, as well. That's pretty cool. It's such an awesome piece in the right hands, and for him to see the continuation of the project must be a real thrill!

Please thank him on behalf of all of us who continue to present this wonderful illusion,

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.jimmyfingers.com
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I will let him know. He is a great guy and we all look forward to seeing him perform at our club. He always amazes us with his routines. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The scenery flat idea is one that I have used also, but when I wanted the panels to have a more solid look, I use foam core board, instead of fabric over 1 x frames. On large panels you may need a center brace to prevent sagging or potential damage to the center of the panel, but you don't need to corner brace anything, as the foamcore keeps the frame square. The edges can be sealed with masking or gaffer's tape. Don't use plastic, shipping or duct tapes, as they don't take paint well. Spray prime it, and paint as desired. Try to avoid thick slow drying paint coats, as that may cause the tape to loose its seal.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Email me to see an online video of my finished 5 panel Bryce

Jimmy
http://www.jimmyfingers.com