The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Punching Holes in Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Does anyone know a good way to punch a large, silver dollar sized hole in a playing card. I want to punch holes in several cards actually to be able to hide a coin in the deck. I tried the xacto knife routine but I couldn't get a consistent enough hole.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I havn't seen any silver dollar hole punchers.

The most I can suggest is tracing the silver dollar with a knife of something like that.

Good idea though...got me thinking.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Hole saw or drill bit my friend. Start with small holes and slowly increment the sizes to the desired fit.

If you use the hole saw method then you will have to go with the size you need because the hole saw has a centering bit affixed.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Gasket punch. find them at the local hardware store- if you use a bolck of wood for the punching surface, do your punch a favor and use the END GRAIN to catch the pounding, it keeps the blades sharper.

You can find gasket punches in many many sizes. If the expense is more than you want for just a few cards, then go to a H.S. auto shop and ask a student to punch some for you, or from there to a regular machine shop (they have a large foor standing rotary punch that does many sizes) or auto repair shop(they have the gasket punches).
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Wow!! so there is hope after all. thanks, I'll get on it. I figure to leave the hole cards loose. it will take about 13 of them to hide a silver dollar. I figure if I put them on the bottom I can hide a dollar and keep it in place with one or two straight cards until I need it. I want to load the dollar for Andrus Double Deception routine. It should work great.
-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Here's a thought:

Get some steel or brass tubing the diameter of a silver dollar. Cut one end perfectly square and then 'sharpen' it by grinding a slight miter around the diameter of one end.
Place your card stock on a flat, wooden block, place the sharpened 'tube' on the card and whack it with a hammer.
Should produce a nice, crisp, sharp hole through the card.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I just got back from a craft store to pick up some things. They have punches for scrapebooking. I am not sure of the diameter but I would look at it as the cards could be aligned and all punched one at a time.

A steel rule die used in a power or kick punch will also do the job. Make friends with the local vocational school teacher and see if he could do a couple of decks for you. You might as well make some extras when you do it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I've seen these punches also, some of them do have quite a large diameter so it may be worth checking them out for your needs!

Tom
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thank you so much, you folks are the greatest with all the suggestions!!! I don't have a crafts store nearby. Actually, theres nothing nearby but the scrapbook punch sounds like a good idea if I can find one on the internet someplace. The punch from the large diameter tubing is an excellent idea too. I have a 2" punch for leather that I had made at some expense about ten years ago when we were making leather chop cups and that's exactly how it was made at the local machine shop out of steel tubing. I'd like to make the holes in the cards about 1 and 5/8 inches diameter or 1 and 3/4. I guess what I'm looking for is an elegant solution to a simple task!!! I imagine Rob Johnston has already cut his with a knife.

Always cut the cards,
-=tabman

MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Wards Back reply is the way I make all holes in cards. However, you do not grind the outside diameter of the brass tube. You bevel or grind the inside diameter of the tube. This gives you a good sharp cut without any tears. The outside of the tube is the sharp cutting edge instead of the inside.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Tabman;
I would punch them out on my 20 ton punch; but that's a little bit of overkill.

I suggest making the punch from steel tubing on a lathe. Square off the cutting end and bevel the rim on the inside. This inside bevel will give a clean cut to the hole. After all, you want the edges of the hole to be smooth not necessarily the cut out piece. If you are doing lots of holes, harden the cutting edge.

After making the tube punch, I'd turn down a piece of steel to fit inside the tubing at the opposite end. Drill a 1/2" hole through this "end plug" and weld on to the tubing. Place a 1/2" bolt through the hole and secure with a nut. You will not have a "handle" to grip your punch with in a drill press. By using a drill press and its feed handle to operate the punch, you will be a right angle and have better control. I'd place the card in a holder clamped to the drill press table for hole alignment and use a rubber sheeting pad (1/8" thick) to punch against.
Jim
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Sir Jim!!!!

Since I plan on wanting to punch cards more than just this once I will have to, as craftsmen of olde, make my own tools and jigs (again!!) Great description of the tool too. Have to name it after you. Let me add my 2c. in that I think you need a couple of well placed holes in the top so you can poke out the circular cut outs and not let them clog up the tool. I will need some kind of thin walled steel tubing. Would electrical conduit work??? I wonder if it grows that big??? Since I only need 2" I will have to put my scrounge cap on.

-=tabman

RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Tabman;
I forgot to mention in my post above - do not turn on the drill press! Just use the drill press as a punch. The usual method for knocking out the punched discs is a hole in the side of the punch tubing about 3/4"-1" above the business end. For the size of punch you want, it could just be ground out with a belt sander roller end or a drum sander.

I'm not certain on conduit sizes as that's not the type of metal I usual buy. I'd probably just make the whole thing out of 2" diameter mild steel bar stock and remove an inch or so depth on the end for the punch. Kasenite (sp?) can be used to case harden the punch bevel. The punch itself need not be very long - 2" total is plenty of length.

Tell me about making special jigs! Good luck.
Jim
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thanks Jim, if we had a magic craftsmen's club I'd nominate you for president!!!

-=tabman