The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: How to make Shell Coins? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Has anyone here any experience of making shell or double-faced or nesting coins etc? Is there anywhere on the Net that provides some instructions? Or any books that do?

I realise that special metal-working equipment such as mills and (possibly?) lathes would be needed. I happen to have a friend with a metal-working workshop and I was wondering if I might put this to good magical effect...?

best wishes
Huw
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
752 Posts

Profile of Winks
Unless you have a need for some really odd coins (like from Kualalampur), it is far easier and cheaper to buy them from established producers. Smile Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 13:15, Huw Collingbourne wrote:
Has anyone here any experience of making shell or double-faced or nesting coins etc? Is there anywhere on the Net that provides some instructions? Or any books that do?

[...]

You're not by any chance a friend of Dean Dill, are you?

(Yes, Todd, this one was just for you.)

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-07-25 16:32, Winks wrote:
Unless you have a need for some really odd coins (like from Kualalampur), it is far easier and cheaper to buy them from established producers. Smile Smile

But more satisfying to make my own. Also, it would be nice to have coin combinations that are different from everyone else's. And, who knows, maybe I might even come up with a novel variation on the traditional coins...?

Really though, it's not the cost I'm thinking about. The plain fact of the matter is that I just like making things!

best wishes
Huw
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
I've made my own coins for years. It can be difficult when you first start out but very worthwhile when you get over the learning hump.

For shell coins you will need a lathe with no more than 3 or 4 inch swing. Anything bigger won't allow the precision in setup for coins. Jeweler's lathes such as a Unimat or Taig are perfect.

Make sure you get a three jaw chuck to start out as they are self centering. For off center work, get a 4 jaw chuck. Be sure that you get thrust bearings in your motors so you can do face work and not just side work. Most metal workers only rarely do facing work so you will have to have them installed as an option.

Get a copy of Model Engineering magazine published in the UK for some great sources.

When you make gaffed coins other than shells, you will also find need for other tools. Milling tables, jeweler's saws, microriviting tools, swaging tools, metal spinning equipment, brazing tools, micro-flame torches, spot welding tools and soldering equipment will start your list.

The rewards for making your own gaffed coins will blossom for you the first time you use one in a performance and your spectator's jaw drops to the table top.

Good luck with your latest passion.

Best Always,
Ray
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Huw,

I forgot to include a URL for a fabulous site devoted to machining and metalworking for magic items. Unfortunately, there are no instructions there for coins but James Riser is a fabulous fellow who may be able to point you towards more information.

http://www.JamesRiser.com/

Best Regards,
Ray
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
Just a legal note on coins... is it (still)illegal to deface coins to an extent whereby the person defacing the coin makes a saleable profit?

Somebody once told me years ago the local police in Preston raided Eddie Gibson’s' house for this very same reason (how true this is I don't know)

Frank.

(Huw, your skills in Delphi are truly magical)
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
[
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 18:47, Ray Haddad wrote:
[...]
For shell coins you will need a lathe with no more than 3 or 4 inch swing. Anything bigger won't allow the precision in setup for coins. [...]

WHAT????????

I can only assume you are not very familiar with precision machinery; my one manual lathe (I have two others that are computer controlled) has a digital readout that accurately measures the travel in either axis to a magnitude of .0002 inches (that's two ten-thousandths of one inch!). I have yet to see a Unimat with that kind of repeatable precision.

As for the use of chucks... the top coin workers (such as Todd Lassen, who is THE top coin worker) don't use them. They use COLLETS (and collet closers), and they machine their own for the various coins they work on. Of course, you're unlikely to find collets big enough for coins that will mount on a home/hobby lathe such as a Unimat...

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Thomas,

Remember, Huw is a beginner at this sort of thing. He has to have a starting point where all machinists begin. Sending him off chasing things like you appear to be recommending is counterproductive.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ray
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-07-26 00:28, Ray Haddad wrote:
Thomas,

Remember, Huw is a beginner at this sort of thing. He has to have a starting point where all machinists begin. Sending him off chasing things like you appear to be recommending is counterproductive.
[...]

Ray,

As you know, I prefer to give realistic advice. It is, of course, possible to build virtually anything using virtually nothing as a tool. I once met a man who built a pool cue, using nothing more than a pocket knife to shape his one piece instrument from a length of Diamond Willow and a piece of Caribou antler (for the ferrule); the tip was a piece of toungue leather from an old boot. It was a pool cue for all intents and purposes, and he shot a pretty good game with it, too. But by any REAL world standards it was a piece of junk.

In the same vein, I'm sure it's possible to make coin gaffs using the most basic hobby-grade equipment. But I very much doubt the end result will come anywhere near the quality of makers such as Todd Lassen; my prediction is that the first efforts - and perhaps many more to come - will be sad disappointments. Of course, if he is willing put in the decades of effort that you boast of, perhaps he will attain results that will meet [at least] your satisfaction.

I have to wonder, however, who's REALLY offering the "counterproductive" advice here.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-07-25 20:37, Brian Damage wrote:
(Huw, your skills in Delphi are truly magical)

...ulp! That's my 'secret identity' out in the open, then!

Thanks for the various bits of advice, folks. I shall consult my metal-working friend (who seems to have a vast array of lathes, mills and other fiendish-looking devices) to see what he makes of it all...

best wishes
Huw
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
79 Posts

Profile of EasyK
Did you ever make your own coins? It's over a decade since you made this post so much could have been done.
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James P. Riser use to offer a PDF publication on how to make a Scotch and Soda coin set, but do to people taking his information and selling the products as theirs, has decided to withhold selling them any longer. It was only $5 for the information.

James P. Riser is a world class craftsman in metal and wood, his magic props are sold to many professional magicians around the world.