The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Bamboo ??!?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I have a nearly unending supply of bamboo (green at the moment) and was wondering if anyone knows of anything tricky to do with it.

I am curently building something for my wife to use in Bible school with a bunch of it, and I love the ease with which it can be worked.

Any project ideas for Bamboo?

Thanks
Steve Smile

P.S. My supply includes bamboo up to 6" in diameter (but only a few) and some over 40' long (plenty) with plenty averaging 2"-4" in diameter, and 30' in length.

P.P.S. It is a terrible thing to have a good source of materials, and no projects for it. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Just a thought, but what about aerial fishing? The handle, being naturally hollow could be tricked to deliver the goods.

Also, bamboo Chinese Sticks are not uncommon. Of course, it would require a smooth-walled insert for the guts.

Another thought... Owen makes tables either from, or to resemble bamboo.

http://owenmagic.com/Accessories/accessories.html

There should be plenty of internet info on furniture construction with bamboo and rattan.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Owen doesn't use bamboo to make anything. They turn the "bamboo" from seasoned wood. While very strong, bamboo is good for certain things, but it has a tendency to split.

The original Silent Mora Bamboo Wands (Chinese Sticks) were really made of bamboo, but some of the sticks were not straight and didn't work properly.

Tables and things like that would be good.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7569 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You could do a Gilligan/Castaway-themed show, and make props/staging to resemble a deserted island. At the end, you could even make a human-powered bamboo helicopter or bamboo airplane appear. (How else could they get off the island?)

If the professor can make all those things from bamboo, why can't a magician? Smile Hehehe!

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I once did a "Temple of Benares" type trick that was painted to look like a grass hut (I still have it, but haven't used it in years). I performed it to Don Ho's "Little Grass Shack."

I used bamboo spears in place of swords. My assistant, who entered in a black pantsuit, emerged from the trick dressed in a grass skirt, lei, and aloha shirt.

I had bamboo "borders" painted on the prop itself, but actual bamboo framework would look very nice.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
In Osborne's System of Illusions Volume 3, there is a great routine that is jungle themed. It uses two illusions and one of them is a cage appearance. This was designed to use bamboo for the cage bars (even though Paul says he just used a scroll saw to cut out plywood in the shape of bamboo).

Evan
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
You could use the bamboo to get a panda to come out of the zoo and be in your act and feed it to him.

Really though, you could make a nice production box to do with pandas.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Depends on the size, I love bamboo as a magic wand, especially for Indian Cups and/or the Rezvani Bowl.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
The original chop cup was made out of bamboo,like the bamboo drinking glasses import stores used to sell.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Sounds like you need to package it up and sell it to all these people with wonderful ideas for its use. You could become the official Magic Bamboo Dealer. Once the stuff gets going you just can't get rid of it can you.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.