The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Anyone know of this release mechanism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
22 years ago I traveled with a sideshow. We had a guillotine illusion which was designed to look as though something went wrong. As the crank was turned, the cable was wound and the blade rose up, but it would "prematurely" release as soon as it reached the top. This was accomplished by a release mechanism which held the blade totally secure, but when it reached the top, the actual pressure of this mechanism against the top of the guillotine frame would cause the mechanism to open and release the blade. Here's the problem- it's been 22 years, and I don't remember the specifics! Does anyone know what this is? Thanks a ton!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure those that have the professionally made models have this feature, but it is not on the U.F. Grant model. I would look at the Owen Plans to begin with. Don't know if Paul Osborne's plans deals with this at all. Get ahold of Mickey Hades in Canada (he is very old now, but still sells the plans), that sells individual Thayer plans, so you would not have to purchase those expensive plans. Not saying it is in the Thayer plans, but it is some place to look.

Just so many illusion builders, with so many ways to create additional feature. Don't really think this is common knowledge in the magic community.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
The piece on the end of the cable that holds the blade can be fastened with toothpicks. there are stops at the top of the groove that stop the blade rail from going up all the way. When you crank the blade up the the rail hits the stops and when you keep cranking the toothpick breaks releasing the blade. The model I saw this on also used toothpicks to hold the gimmick in place. Simple but works.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Come to think of it, might have been a wooden match stick. Heck it was almost 40 years ago. Anyway you get the idea.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I believe actual guillotines had this feature built into some of them. It's kind of like a set of ice tongs. Pressure at the top causes the tong points to open and thus release the blade. I've seen this in an illustration for a real guillotine, but never for a magic trick. I'll do a quick search to see if I can locate something.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
412 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have a beautiful mini-guillotine made by Craig Baytien of Illusion Arts Magic. Although it does not have the type of release you mention I am SURE he could either suggest how you might make one or possibly make one for you. He is a MASTER builder!

http://illusionartsmagic.com

The mini-guillotine: http://illusionartsmagic.com/details.php?pid=30&cid=2