The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Supreme Magic style, packs flat cardboard? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
This might not be the right place to ask this but.... I have an idea for a prop that ideally would be made like those old packs flat, Supreme Magic, made from cardboard, effects. if I was looking to manufacture a prop of the kind.... made from card but with a good finish and printing on it.... where would I start?

I've done a google search for plactisized card, manufacturers of card, and a myriad of other related search terms but can't get anything other than cardboard box producers, cardboard producers or greetings cards manufacturers.

Any help welcomed. I'm based in the UK.

Many thanks
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
Why don't you ask at a local print shop?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
A great idea lin. Thanks for the suggestion.
Neal Austin

Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Ask John Kimmons (Kimmo) who used to work at Supreme. He might be able to help.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks Jef, That's a great idea.
Neal Austin

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have tried to track down this cardboard myself, it seems an impossible task. I have contacted one magician that came out with a project in the U.S. He never responded back.

Because of the hundreds of types of cardboard, thincknesses and finishes. The only way to find out is good old huffing it to every print company you can find, and hope they will help you find the correct name of the board. You will most likely have to go to larger commercial print companies as well.

They usually have samples from manufacturers they can compare your board with the samples they have. My experience was they guy told me, I could leave as any order I would have would be to small for them.

Most of Supreme's board effects were not printed, with today's processes, they were "Silk Screened" which is a very labor intensive process.

The only thing I found out was, that there are 2 types of cardboard, "Cold Press" and "Hot Pressed".
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks for the info Bill.

I might well have some luck next month at the Blackpool Magic Convention as there will be many dealers/manufacturers of effects there that use this type of covered printed cardboard. I know Razzamatazz has a lot of printed cardboard based tricks that they had made as does George Iglesias who makes the effect 'food to go'. And maybe also Quality Magic and others too.

Cheers.
Neal Austin