The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Stick it! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I need some help with this one if anyone has experience with it.

I set up a new kit to take with me to shows. It holds all my props for a 20 minute (or longer) set in a well organized in a single small and manageable case.

The case is either a tool kit or maybe a camera case of some type that I re-purposed. We are talking about an aluminum (or similar metal) case with thousands of tiny bumps on it. I have no idea what the bumps are for. Maybe just for looks.

Here is the question. Since I am a lousy artist (and I am) I want to use vinyl or sticker letters to put my contact info on the side of the case for all to see when I busk. Regular lettter stickers come off this things by the time I take it out of my car.

Anyone know what will stick to this type of metal?
Do I need to invest in a metal or plastic engraving that I epoxy to the thing?

The price was right and it works great so I don't want to abandon the case over this little issue.

Thanks.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You might try sticking the letters to a "flat unbumped" "shingle" of metal or plastic, and, then riveting THAT, to the side.

I've used "repurposed" cases for 50 years on the road. I suspect the "bumps" were to help make the "skin" of the case more sturdy.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Wiz Kid Miriah has one of those cases with the aluminum bumps. The way we solved the problem was to spray paint the side of the case red (or any color- even clear) and applied the vinyl letters while the paint was still tacky. The letters bonded with the paint, which bonded with the aluminum. Mischief managed!

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Nice one Jim, I may have to try that.
Magic is like Science,
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
One way to cure it this is to put on the signage either by painting or stick on letters. Then clear coat it or put a think piece of clear poly carbonite over it. Just screw it down at the ends. One thing, the poly carbonate can be shinny which might make it harder to read due to reflections.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Another good idea. Thanks Richard
Magic is like Science,
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Clean aluminum with acetone before painting.