The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Somewhat inexpensive shimmed cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I made my own shimmed cards not more than twenty minutes ago.
I used the metal strips found in the security devices on the inside of DVDs bought at Wal-mart. Theses security devices contain abought five or six thin metal shims.
1. I split the cards.
2. I put in two shims per card.(one at each end).
3. I glued the split cards back together.
Thats it they work great so far. The only real expense is buying a DVD. But since I would have bought the DVD anyway, it isn't really an expense.
Have fun.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a great idea! I would have put them in the center of the card.

Shim material is so hard to find!
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
I prefer a 5.0 cm x 8.0 cm x 0.03 mm shim, centered. That's what you'll find in my cards sold at the Magic Warehouse.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
Well I was only utilizing what I had handy. If I had 5.0cm x 8.0 cm x 0.03 mm shim stock I would have used that, but if a person needs a quick inexpensive replacement shim card......well.....
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
I didn't want to offend you. Your idea is ok; but is your size then practical?
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I'm not offended and I hope I didn't offend you. As to whether or not my size of shim is practical, I tested it with a 1"diameter 1/4' thick ceramic magnate and was able to pick up the shimmed card as well as the six or so cards on top of it. So it works for my perposes.

Excuse me I meant "purposes". I seem to be speaking fluent typonese today.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Contact Marty Martini, he wrote a book and I think a video on this subject.
Dennis Michael
Catmouth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Catmouth
I used to work at a music store. Most comercial cds now have those security tags inside them also. Or if you ahve a friend or 2 that works at one of those stores, aske them to give you a strip of those tags for you to disect. they come in bigger sheets that is perfed into strips. Now all I need to know is how you got the cards apart...... lol.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
I learned all I ever needed to know about card splitting from 'Expert Card Technique'. Combine that with some excellent tutorials that you can get to by searching this site all you need is a bit of practice.
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I learned to split cards with some help from this site in about 20 minutes.