The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: MagiCaddy (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Hey Guys! After purchasing about every tool box, craft box, Doctor's bag that struck my fancy and never being completely happy with any of them, I started drawing up plans a couple of years ago for a portable box to carry all of my stuff to shows. It would have the perfect size inserts for decks of cards, coin trays, packet trick inserts, wallets, cups and balls etc.... The key was, I wanted it to open up nicely organized so I wouldn't have to dig through a bunch of stuff to quickly find an effect. Working the same venues for years means I often get requests for something from repeat customers who bring in friends. Hopefully, this will help me find stuff more quickly without having strew stuff all over the back office table or car trunk.

I am thinking two tone white oak and mahogany. Might as well look really good arriving at shows too right? I thought I'd share an image from my CAD design to see what you guys thought. It shows the box in the open and closed position. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
Maple and walnut are also an acceptable combination. Maple and mahogany would work well together, too. The grain patterns of these wood are similar, as opposed to oak's grain pattern. It's your call, though.

I used Honduras Mahogany many years ago to make stereo speakers. I've heard that the only Mahogany around these days comes from the Phillipines.
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
122 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
That looks pretty good. I have to ask, for curiousities sake, how are you latching the flip lid so that it is strong enough to hold the box by the handle and what hinges are you going to use?
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I already want one!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Reminds me of those tool boxes master woodworkers used to make to show their skills. The box was their resume of sorts. Very cool idea!
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Maple is a great Idea!

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, bbarefoot wrote:
That looks pretty good. I have to ask, for curiousities sake, how are you latching the flip lid so that it is strong enough to hold the box by the handle and what hinges are you going to use?

I also play in a band and our road cases have these twist tighten latches. I might try those, they are strong! I am planning on using piano hinges.

bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
122 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, Dannicus wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, bbarefoot wrote:

I also play in a band and our road cases have these twist tighten latches. I might try those, they are strong! I am planning on using piano hinges.

That makes sense. I had not thought of the gig cases as an example. My first thought was that the latch and hinge would give way and flop around on you, but that makes more sense. I can't wait to see the final pictures!

Have a great day!

Brad
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I am thinking of a latch something like this..

http://www.reliablehardware.com/minirecessedlatch.aspx

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
As I said I have looked at a ton of boxes and Chests. I drew inspiration from this toolbox maker.. (I have always wanted one but look at the prices uugh)

http://gerstnerusa.com/made-in-usa-products

but also I wanted something that ad fold out trays that were large enough to hold decks of cards and such. Julie sent me a private message suggesting a Tackle box like design. This is kinda like that but with larger trays, and when it all opens up I can see everything at once so hopefully it will be easier to quickly find what I want when I am loading up. I also drew inspiration from these Makeup chests... they allow for much the same function...access to a lot of items at once, but again lots of little trays and areas, not suited as well for magic but close...albeit huge

https://www.thelashop.com/pro-artist-rol......5C8P8HAQ

With six trays telescoping out from the sides and the drawers from the front, plus the bigger compartment under the lid, I am thinking I should have easy access to about anything fairly quickly.... hopefully anyhow. I suspect I will have to modify it when it comes time to actually build it, best laid plans being what they are. I will keep you posted with pictures when I tackle the build if you guys are interested....

Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
The elusive perfect toolbox! I have purchased many that seemed to have all the storage I needed. I have also made several thinking this one is perfect! only to decide it did not quite hold everything I needed or was not quite nice enough. I am working on a new toolbox right now and recently purchased an old Gyosho-Bako from Japan that I am restoring. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a92dg5sj09i43......jpg?dl=0