The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: My diy items And copyright doubts (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Hello how are you?
Im new to Magic And after some advices of a lot of friends here, I start to read more And take a break in constructing an buying props.
So In my first months in magic, I made some props. I started tô construct props because here in Brazil I cant find some things And sometimes I find the props but they are very expensive.
So I made a lot of props, so the last props are:
A production box;
A computer deck like prop;
A switchbox;
A silkcab,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By5Q6N......hSlBfaTA

My doubt is: are this item copyrighted? Can use this in my presentations?

Sorry if my doubt is too simple.
Thanks.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1653 Posts

Profile of randirain
Most magic isn't copyrighted, because that would mean making the secret public, and because of the cost.
That doesn't mean others don't frown on copying.
But the stuff you have made is old enough to be considered public domain. Except the "computer deck like prop", I don't know what that is, so I can't say one way or the other, but the rest is old enough, and plenty of people have made their versions as well.

Randi
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Thanks for the reply Randi.
The computer deck I Think its developed by Del Ray.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy9XHtNWCFc

I ll do a vídeo of my prop working.
I know something about eletrônics And computer programming And I like props the mix the Magic And tecnology.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Kleberdexter! Your ethics, regarding "copying", are excellent.

As you study TARBELL, you will begin to realize that the PRESENTATION is more important than the PROP!

The PERFORMER and HIS PERSONALITY, guide the PRESENTATION. The PRESENTATION is what makes the MAGIC, ENTERTAINING!

My dad took me to Milwaukee, Wisconsin (a five hour drive) to see Harry Blackstone Senior's big illusion show, back in 1945. Harry carried a railroad box car full of scenery and props. My dad, who had no experience, or even interest, in magic, was most impressed and entertained, by Harry's "Dancing Handkerchief". --and, the handkerchief was BORROWED from a man in the audience.

It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!!!!!!!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Thanks Dick.
I'm taking notes of all advices that you And the others friends write to me in the forum.
It's good to know that you had family support in the beginning.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2017, Kleberdexter wrote:
Hello how are you?
Im new to Magic And after some advices of a lot of friends here, I start to read more And take a break in constructing an buying props.
So In my first months in magic, I made some props. I started tô construct props because here in Brazil I cant find some things And sometimes I find the props but they are very expensive.
A production box;
A switchbox;
A silkcab,

Thanks.

If you have a book of that explains how to make trick props, then by all means you can make them for your own use. Generally, not to sell, the owner of the book usually retains that right.

Many magicians use props that are all made by themselves. Why not, if you are a good craftsman, then make anything you desire. Are all plans available for every trick being sold, of course not, why would anyone cut their own profits by telling people how to make a magic trick.

Just make sure what you make is nice looking, and something you would be proud to display and use.

Most magic items are made to sell for a profit, and because others don't have the craftsmanship themselves to create. It also does not make sense to have a workshop for only one piece being made. If you were to buy a lath, bench saw, drill press, etc., just to make one magic props, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save money, over purchasing the prop ready made.

Although, some people have a personal pride in making things themselves, and the cost of making it is outweighed by their personal feelings. I have made products over the years, the cost of a trick for $500, I made for the cost of $20.00 because I already had the drills and knowledge of the very old device, that was made with more modern items.

I make my own gimmicks, that work well for me, and have not been offered on the market. I have also purchased gimmicks, because I just did not have the knowledge or tools to create it myself. Not knowing the kind of tool that is needed, is part of secret to making some props.

As you have said, you can't afford a prop, so how can you afford the machinery to make the prop? That reasoning does not make sense. If you can afford machinery, then you can afford to buy the prop.

Yea, many of the items in your picture are owned by others. Now the question is, have you improved on the original and made it better, and different enough to be your own creation. As Dick Oslund pointed out, it is the presentation and routine that makes a magic effect. Not the prop, the prop is only a vessel to help illustrate the magic effect. A box is just a box, until a magician turns it into a seeming miracle, that puzzling and will fool the audiences minds into wonder beyond their understanding.
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2017, Kleberdexter wrote:
Hello how are you?
A production box;
A switchbox;
A silkcab,

Thanks.

If you have a book of that explains how to make trick props, then by all means you can make them for your own use. Generally, not to sell, the owner of the book usually retains that right.

Many magicians use props that are all made by themselves. Why not, if you are a good craftsman, then make anything you desire. Are all plans available for every trick being sold, of course not, why would anyone cut their own profits by telling people how to make a magic trick.

Just make sure what you make is nice looking, and something you would be proud to display and use.

Most magic items are made to sell for a profit, and because others don't have the craftsmanship themselves to create. It also does not make sense to have a workshop for only one piece being made. If you were to buy a lath, bench saw, drill press, etc., just to make one magic props, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save money, over purchasing the prop ready made.

Although, some people have a personal pride in making things themselves, and the cost of making it is outweighed by their personal feelings. I have made products over the years, the cost of a trick for $500, I made for the cost of $20.00 because I already had the drills and knowledge of the very old device, that was made with more modern items.

I make my own gimmicks, that work well for me, and have not been offered on the market. I have also purchased gimmicks, because I just did not have the knowledge or tools to create it myself. Not knowing the kind of tool that is needed, is part of secret to making some props.

As you have said, you can't afford a prop, so how can you afford the machinery to make the prop? That reasoning does not make sense. If you can afford machinery, then you can afford to buy the prop.

Yea, many of the items in your picture are owned by others. Now the question is, have you improved on the original and made it better, and different enough to be your own creation. As Dick Oslund pointed out, it is the presentation and routine that makes a magic effect. Not the prop, the prop is only a vessel to help illustrate the magic effect. A box is just a box, until a magician turns it into a seeming miracle, that puzzling and will fool the audiences minds into wonder beyond their understanding.

Thanks Bill. I didn't improve that props and this is just for my own use.
And about presentation, like I said I start to study because I think I started the wrong way.

I was more interested on props that in presentations, but with a lot of advices and tips in the forum, I start to study more.

I was worried because I don't want to do wrong things like use itms without authorization.
Here in Brazil we have some seller that copy Magic props and sells like genuine.
I don't buy this items because I know that this items are developed by magicians that put time, money and your experiences in the development.
Sorry for my bad English ok ?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Your English is fine. Don't apologize.

As a thought, Bill, many people have access to workshops (my dad has loads of woodworking machinery, for example) without being able to afford the tools themselves. Others, for varied reasons, may have managed over several years to put together a workshop before getting into magic. I agree that if I wanted to make a prop, it would usually cost me more to get the tools than the prop. But if I already have the tools, all I have to pay for is materials.

-Patrick
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Yes I know this. Sometimes I buy some tools and I use just one time, and this way the prop cost more if I buy a constructed one.
But I you like DIY is good to construct your props ( if you have tools).

I make my own silks. I took some youtube classes to learn how to sew.

thanks Patric.