The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magnet shot glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Working on a prop that needs to have a shot glass stay put when its placed on a tray and tipped but yet removable. don't want to drill the glass. The shot glass has a 1" recess 1/16" deep in the bottom. I used superglue to fix a small 1/4" x 1/16" disk magnet then embedded an opposing one on the tray. Works great but would like to make sure that magnet never comes off. Thinking of a liquid epoxy to just fill the well. Might even color it so the little magnet is hidden better. Any ideas on a good material to do this with or a better method.

Thanks for any help
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Goop will work and dries clear. http://eclecticproducts.com/products/amazing-goop.html

Super Glue dries hard and is brittle and will not take much handling where as Goop dries similar to a clear hard rubbery consistency.

Another similar glue is E6000 you can find both in Walmart in the craft or glue and tape section. The E6000 is also available in a small multi pack of 4 0.1,8oz tubes and usually found in the craft section.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
E6000 would work great for this problem.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Glass and mirror stores sell clear glue for glass and mirrors. I would check with them as they are the experts in this field.

I would say to use clear Epoxy glue, the 5 minute version is clear.

In the manufacturing company I use to work for we used a lot of Loctite clear glue brand, has to use a hammer to break the seal.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Is the E6000 self leveling or will it need to be tooled.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
E6000 is self leveling as is Goop and are quite similar.
They're made by the same manufacturer http://eclecticproducts.com/
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Thanks for the info. Asked a glass shop as well and they recommended Goop E6000.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was standing in line to pay for my items at JoAnne's Fabric Store yesterday, and I looked down and there was racks of E6000, I was tempted to pick a tube up for some tricks I am making. I looked at the price, have to wait until next payday. Smile
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
It is not cheap, but works great Bill!!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8816 Posts

Profile of harris
Bill your comment got me hook line and glass sinker.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u