The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making the perfect linking rings (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Hi all

it's not easy to describe my question without revealing any secrets...

I'v been reading, watching, thinking and building about linking rings the last week.

After I builted me two pairs of tiny linking rings and looking at my purchased ones, I was wondering how to make the perfect "key" to the key ring.

Wich shape of the "key" would be perfect for a smooth handling?
I'm talking about the traditional "key". No mechanics involved.

Any ideas?

Greets
Elrondo
Knock knock...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
My first thought it just to have rounded edges where you need them. It's amazing how much it can smooth out your movements. Even the smallest little edge can cause a slight hiccup.
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2016, Chris Stolz wrote:
My first thought it just to have rounded edges where you need them. It's amazing how much it can smooth out your movements. Even the smallest little edge can cause a slight hiccup.

TY Chris
I think I will give the rounded edges a try.
I made one with 45 degrees angles, feels very comfortable but needs a perfect positioned grip to work smooth.

One of my purchased ones have overlapping edges. I don't like this style and
feel uncomfortable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it will need that much more
practise to handle it smooth.

Regards
Elrondo
Knock knock...
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Rounding the edges works like a charm and really helps. I did this to mine in the early 80's and makes the moves easier.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Good idea. Should make the links and unlinks easier.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I would file the part shorter and open up the throat and make the diameter the same as the others.

I believe it is better to Not argue with the key but make it an easy worker.

Obviously Observation:
If you make the key too big it can be seen. This last sentence ( this one, right here ) is written for anyone wanting to comment on the previous sentence (the obvious observation) because I imagine there is someone just chomping at the bit to point out the obvious.

-----------
Side note: I found some small rings (several months months ago) Jim Swoger was making ( about 40 years earlier) in a box, and I'm picking up where he left off.

Other Side Note, the gold rings in the photo (looking very nice) are approximately the same size as Dai Vernon's presentation rings hanging in the museum down in the Magic Castleâ„¢
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Jay,

I made a nice key to all of my rings now with rounded edges.

Can you post a pic of Jim Swogers rings?

Are you talking about my gold rings?
Knock knock...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
No pictures of Swogers rings but they are thinner. Yes, your gold rings look nice.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1350 Posts

Profile of imgic
I found some stainless steel 12" rings on sale that I picked up for Pop Haydn's 4 ring routine. Went with stainless as have heard chrome plating will flake off and cause problems (including story from Pop about volunteer cutting herself).

When I got the rings the key literally had a slit cut in it. No width to it at all. Fortunately in his DVD, Pop mentions the opening should be equal to 3 times the width of the rings...this will help with crash and catch links. So got out my trusty dremel and widened the opening. But still have some problems with catch links. Now thinking it's because I kept edges straight. Will round them a bit and see how it goes.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."