The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Suitcase Table Take Two (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I finished the suitcase table I was building, and, while it's perfectly designed for what I wanted (it's the right height for me and it has a drawer on real drawer pulls) I've decided that it also came out too heavy. So I've decided to redesign and slim down the weight.
My question is, does anyone know if the Joe Lefler tables are made of 3/8 inch plywood or 1/4 inch plywood? I think they're 3/8 aren't they? Thanks much.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Jim,

Per this website it is 3/8", assuming you are talking about the Suitcase Table. Quarter-inch plywood is probably a little thin for this application.

http://www.hamptonridge.com/product_page......ble.html

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Yes, his table is made of 3/8" plywood.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Jim,

Unless your table is small the 1/4" plywood will be very weak. How heavy did your table turn out. I made mine out of 1/2". It is heavy but extremely sturdy and I do not mind the weight because the table does exactly what I need it to do.

Tim
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, guys.
Tim,
I actually did make mine out of 3/8 baltic birch, but I overbuilt it in the way I joined the pieces together. I used 3/4 square stock in all the corners, sort of as gussets. I also used 1x3s in the base to strengthen the wheel attachments. I also have a drawer that slides on a metal drawer pull, which is adding its own weight to the overall. It is quite strong. But, when I made the drawer, I discovered that just by using rabbit joints in the 3/8 ply made a very strong joint and drawer box, and I think that is all that would be needed for the entire table. So that's basicly what I was thinking of doing. This would eliminate all the weight of those 3/4 inch gussests at every joint.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Jim,

I see now how you built the table. I used 1/2" plywood and did not add any additional supports. I glued and nailed all the pieces together. So far this has worked. I also did the same with my two drawers. I was going to use 3/8" birch but the hardware store was out and I would have had to wait another week to get started. I think if you cut out the gussets and 1x3's you will reduce the weight. I think mine weighs about 40 pounds. That is heavy but it is nice to have a table that has the features I needed. Good luck with your rebuild.

Tim
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
You can also combine the ply -- using, say, 1/2" for the parts that take stress, and 1/4" for the rest. This way you can glue/nail directly into the thicker ply for a strong joint, but still keep down the weight. The secret to a strong box is to glue and clamp each joint so you get a firm wood-to-wood connection, instead of a wood-to-glue-to-wood. I've built a number of boxes this way for theatrical purposes, and they hold up very well.

Something else you can do is use 1/2 x 3/4 pine molding instead of 3/4 x 3/4. Applied on edge, it's almost as strong as the 3/4" square material, but noticeably lighter.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have built several tables like the Merv Taylor table and Abbott's NiteClub table.

You use 3/8" ply on the sides and 1/4" on the front and bottom. This helps on the weight.