The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Vinyl cloth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Hey all

Im building a subtrunk and I want the outside to be covered in black vinyl instead of beeing painted.

Can anyone recomend a place in the uk to get it and what kind? If its too thin it migh rip. Also cloth with some kind of texture would be nice. If not plain would also work.

Any help is apreciated

Thanks
Alex
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know about the UK, but here in America vinyl can be purchased from any Fabric Store that sells cloth material.

You can also buy it at furniture upholstery stores that refinish cloth furniture. They usually have a much greater selection.

You can use contact glues, if you get the cloth back vinyl.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 21, 2016, Nachtzehrer wrote:
Hey all

Im building a subtrunk and I want the outside to be covered in black vinyl instead of beeing painted.

Can anyone recomend a place in the uk to get it and what kind? If its too thin it migh rip. Also cloth with some kind of texture would be nice. If not plain would also work.

Any help is apreciated

Thanks

Vinyl is a bad choice for a subtrunk, because no matter how durable it is, it will rip eventually. Remember, two people are climbing all over it with shoes on.

The best stuff to use is formica laminate sheeting. This is what they use for flight cases, and wont scuff.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Smile What he said...
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
As an alternative what about bonding a fabric to it?
I recently saw some magic props that had this done over thirty years ago and they were holding up vey well.

There's a few ways to do it but here's one....

https://youtu.be/sGSUpKmKGn8
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Thanks for all the replies.

I will investigate Smile

Anyways ig anyone has more ideas for it keep then comming.

Thanks
Alex
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
This is an alternative to formica.

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/abs-plastic-sheet-black/

Find a place in the UK that sells do-it-yourself road cases.you can get prelaminated plywood or just the laminate. It rolls up for easy shipping.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Raven thanks this last one looks great. hope I can get it
Alex
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Why make it difficult. You also can choose for Trespa (HPL). It's sold in different thicknesses and many colors.
But please remember: this kind of materials are always slippery (and jumping on a slippery surface.....)
But the first question has to be: what STYLE are you going for (what fits your(and your partners) personality!)
Black is always difficult on stage. Often we see: black costume, black trunk, black floor and black background.
Have you ever thought of imitation leather (leatherette)?!
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
356 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Maybe consider PU Leather. A more durable leather textured material made from a mix of low quality (inner layer) hide with a textured polyurethane surface. Also known as Bicast or Split Leather. Fairly cheap, available in a very wide range of colours & styles & durable.

Some examples here:
http://www.textileexpressfabrics.co.uk/C......er-Suede
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions. The trunk will be similar to a flight case. The aluminum trimming will take care of black against black.

As for slippery the parts when feet are going will be covered with anti slip rubber if that what its called as per suggestion of Johnathan on the Pendragons DVD about the trunk
I will investigate your suggestions.

Thanks again Smile
Alex