The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: A question for you illusion builders (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I know there are lots of variables and such, but I'm curious as to what you guys would use for the "box" sides of something like a doll house or a Zig Zag nowadays. 1/4" or 3/8" Baltic birch? Regular ply? Something else? The thing would break down (to a point) and pack into a road case, but I'm looking for a material that's reasonably lightweight and resists warping if finished properly. Connecting the corners is not an issue here: I'm just looking for ideas on the material itself.

Thanks! Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I prefer 1/2" ply S2S. If you can at least find it with one sanded side, you can fill the other and sand it smooth enough for the interior. The inside of a Zig Zag really doesn't matter much for looks, but you want it to not scratch the assistant or snag costumes. A Doll House interior can either be painted or covered with fabric.

You might get away with 3/8", but 1/4" would worry me, except as skin for framed panels.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
1000 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
3/8" Birch if I can find it.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Sheet aluminum! It's lightweight, thin, strong, easy to work with, lately it's all I've been using.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Sheet aluminum with formica or vinyl coatings, if you want maximum interior space and exterior durability. 3/8 Baltic birch ply is a good material for the weekend workshop warrior.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
AmazingTristan
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
3 Posts

Profile of AmazingTristan
Where do you find sheet aluminum? I have a hard time even finding suitable wood at the hardware stores.
Tristan James, Conjuror
Impossible things in New England
http://amazingTJ.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, Dave Dorsett wrote:
3/8 Baltic birch ply is a good material for the weekend workshop warrior.

Weekend Warriors like John Gaughan? As much as I understand the advantages of Aluminum and use it in some cases, the comment seemed to be elitist in some regards. There is a reason to use many different substrates. Know and use them all.
Ray Pierce
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2016, AmazingTristan wrote:
Where do you find sheet aluminum? I have a hard time even finding suitable wood at the hardware stores.

Look online. The internet is truly a wonderful thing. It's like the best Yellow Pages in history. And the best thing about ordering online is they will deliver to you!
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 12, 2016, Ray Pierce wrote:

Weekend Warriors like John Gaughan? As much as I understand the advantages of Aluminum and use it in some cases, the comment seemed to be elitist in some regards. There is a reason to use many different substrates. Know and use them all.

Ray, did you mean my comment? I was merely replying to the question posed. I've built illusions using quite a few materials; however, once I started using aluminum, I've been quite sold on it. Just my opinion of course, but that would be my honest answer.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:

Tristan, look for a metal supply warehouse near you.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Ray's comment seems to be an unnecessarily harsh reading of what I said. Why that was read as "elitist", I don't know. But wood as a substrate is the most easily worked. A greater number of people have access to the tools and technology to work with it. Don't recall denigrating anyone in the process of replying to the OP.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:

Paul Osburne gave the answer to that in one of his books. Find someone who builds the interior and inter wheel wells of stock cars. Ask at your local track or speed shop. He might be listed as a race car fabricator or maybe not. He'll have the very specialized tools and tecknique. to work with this material
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2016, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:

Paul Osburne gave the answer to that in one of his books. Find someone who builds the interior and inter wheel wells of stock cars. Ask at your local track or speed shop. He might be listed as a race car fabricator or maybe not. He'll have the very specialized tools and tecknique. to work with this material. And want have any problem with a custom order
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2016, Dave Dorsett wrote:
Don't recall denigrating anyone in the process of replying to the OP.

My apologies. I incorrectly thought there was a knock on the "Weekend Warriors" quote. I do prefer Aluminum on many things and wood on others. I've been working with wood for decades longer than I've been machining metal but each has a valuable place.
Ray Pierce
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2016, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2016, Dave Dorsett wrote:
Don't recall denigrating anyone in the process of replying to the OP.

My apologies. I incorrectly thought there was a knock on the "Weekend Warriors" quote. I do prefer Aluminum on many things and wood on others. I've been working with wood for decades longer than I've been machining metal but each has a valuable place.
Do you machine billet, as apposed to sheet metal for illusions?