The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hot Air-Steinmeyer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
98 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Hi folks-

I'm attempting to construct Steinmeier's Hot Air from Design and Illusion. I've spoke with several magicians, even across the big pond, trying to
get a handle on the design plans. Earlier posts suggest there was a flaw and was later fixed for re-publication. Does the support connect to the
bottom platform at all? If so, what keeps the entire prop from falling forward?? Even my builder/welder, with a master's in design, is curious.

Any advice/help/band aids?

Thanks,

AC
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I have the 2nd edition of Device and Illusion and built the prop about 12 years ago. The support does not connect to the bottom platform. The platform simply covers it. The prop will not fall forward if built correctly. The trickiest part is probably getting the angle of the gimmick right. If I remember correctly, I have the centerline of the bottom gimmick at an angle that intersects with the center of the top platform.

When I had a welder put the gimmick together, he had his doubts too. I think they just are not familiar with these types of things, so they question whether or not it will work. Just make sure the welds are good and strong.
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
98 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Roger that Michael.

Thank you sir.