The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Mini Motors for Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Hi everyone,

I've been searching round for mini motors to use for an original levitation for a little while but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm after a mini motor that could fit into a piece of metal tubing about half an inch in diameter and about 8-10 inches long. It needs to be able to lower and raise a lightweight, vertical, bar with the weight of an average person on it. It sounds impossible, and I think it is, haha. Then again I once heard 'anythings possible if you know how.' Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Mike Rogers

PS: I'm leaning more towards compressed air, hydralics or pneumatics at the moment but it has to be silent. Besides I don't know the ANYTHING about those things. What a headache!
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Personally, I do not think you can find a motor that will fit in a half inch tub yet be able to raise a person. I have a tiny geared motor, about that size, and it will pull a scarf thru a hole in glass, but not very well if the silk gets bunched. The point, there is not much power there...especially if it is being run off a battery. I am not sure that, unless geared down, even a garage door opener or washing machine motor would work...and they are fairly large. If you wanted to float a scarf or card with a motor that fits in a half inch tube, I think you could do it...a 150 pounder I doubt it.
quack
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
MagicDuck,

Thanks for your response. That's what's I thought too. I wasn't really expecting it to be possible, I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone knew of anything. On the side note the weight of the person isn't actually directly applied to the motor, it's sortoff spread. It's hard to explain. I'm not really expecting to find a solution though.

I wonder how big the motor is in the barstool levitation?

Thanks again for your response,

Mike
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Mike, PM me for some insight here. I used to be famous for my robots so I know a little.

The technology is called "lead-screw".
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Just a thought, I don't know how practical it would be...
I install garage doors and a screw drive operator is VERY quit. The shaft would do the lifting just like normal but would be cut down to your needs.
The unit when taken out of the casing is not very big and could be easily hidden under something.
You would have to use a 1/2 horse motor which is capable of lifting 300lbs.
They cost about $170-250 at Sams Club.
Tim
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Tim,

Thanks for your post.

I was just wondering how much power is needed to run one of these motors?

Thanks again,

Mike Rogers
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Here's another Idea along the same lines...I have found the screw openers a bit louder than I like but check out the automatic driveway gate openers. They are Hydrolic and will move some pretty good weight. Just a thought. Oh and some are about the same cost.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Great ideas everyone!

I think this is actually achievable now. Time for some serious research.

Robert, can you suggest a certain model of hydraulic opener, or maybe a website? Have you used these openers for levitations before?

Thanks,

Mike
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
This may be off the subject a bit but I had heard years ago that when they made the Batman movie with Michael Keaton in it, they had used some very powerful motors in the grapling hook gun. It was a real device that would fire off and then pull at the most one perhaps two people upward. I read somewhere that they would burn a motor out ever time it was used but it did work none the less. Woulndt that be cool to have those motors? hehe

Robert
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Robert,
I didn't even think about the gate openers, great idea!
Congradulations on the new baby!

Mike,
The power supply is 110v. However they do make a battery operated GDO. I have only seen pictures of it in company magazines so I don't know if you could get it to work for your needs or not.
Tim
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Check out an industrial supply catalog like
WW Grainger or McMaster-Carr they have very small & powerful "linear motion actuators" some are even 12VDC powered. but alass none as small as you wish, but take a look.
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Thanks for the info Tim.

Shadow, thanks so much for the advice on the catalogs. Some of those actuators are perfect! How loud are these things? I think I'm actually getting somewhere with this.

Thanks again,

Mike
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Most of the "Ball Type" are very quiet.
This is what I do for a real job, design machines.
If I can be of any help let me know.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Greetings from a newcomer!

In regards to, "It needs to be able to lower and raise a lightweight, vertical, bar with the weight of an average person on it." Can you use a counter weight to cut down on the power need? In other words if you anticipate a volunteer of 150lbs... use that weight on the other end... then motor needs only move the chain/gear/etc that way? just my 2 cents...
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Pastorclyde,

I'll have a think about, thanks for the suggestion!

Mike
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
A very small set of blocks and tackle with the cables inside of pipe of some sort? lots of lift without taking much to do it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
TinMan2
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TinMan2
Take a look at the electric motors used for lifting race car trailers, etc. Very quiet and have a nice lift.