The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Anyone try to make a self sealing envelope for card to envelope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
conjurus_maximus
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of conjurus_maximus
I got a card to wallet that is compatible with self sealing envelopes. I am considering making my own because I want envelopes of different colors. And it seems all of the envelopes available by magic producers are almost exclusively white.

anyone try to make their own envelopes? tips?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Use a template made from an existing envelope out of heavy cardboard. I would suggest you use a roller wheel cutter, as it much easier to go around the pattern. Use an Exacto Knife for the tight corners if you want it to be perfect. Make a thin template to make the folds against, just a rectangle and fold the flaps over on it.

Use one of the new green cutting mats on he market, it will protect the surface and give a good clean cut.

As for self sealing, they sell adhesive film on a roll out. You will only have to put the film on one surface.

They do make colored self-sealing envelopes, but you did not say if you were using a standard size or not, being you mentioned a magic supply. You did not mention if you were using a standard envelope or a pay/wage type end flap envelope.
conjurus_maximus
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

WOW! thanks for the ideas! that is awesome.

I have the HOW wallet by Harry Robson, and it uses the Medium Bonsolopes.

This self sealing film you mentioned functions as well as the traditional rubber cement method?

Thanks again for the ideas. Very helpful. I was considering printing templates, but your idea of a cardboard template and a roller cutter makes more sense.

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Use a template made from an existing envelope out of heavy cardboard. I would suggest you use a roller wheel cutter, as it much easier to go around the pattern. Use an Exacto Knife for the tight corners if you want it to be perfect. Make a thin template to make the folds against, just a rectangle and fold the flaps over on it.

Use one of the new green cutting mats on he market, it will protect the surface and give a good clean cut.

As for self sealing, they sell adhesive film on a roll out. You will only have to put the film on one surface.

They do make colored self-sealing envelopes, but you did not say if you were using a standard size or not, being you mentioned a magic supply. You did not mention if you were using a standard envelope or a pay/wage type end flap envelope.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I sent you a PM regarding this
conjurus_maximus
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Thanks Smile
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, Taterini wrote:
I sent you a PM regarding this
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
731 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I bought 100 envelopes from propdog when I got my wallet, but I'll eventually run out and they are a wee bit costly. I've been playing with the idea of using origami paper for them. I have the same wallet, and so far it's not been too difficult. Just get some standard size origami paper, 6x6 inches, it is usually cheap, about 5-8$ for 500 sheets, so plenty to experiment with. Another benefit is you don't have to cut anything! Just center a card either parallel or diagonal on the paper and see what you can come up with. I also put seals on mine, much like Harry Robson does, but that's up to you. I've been using a glue stick to glue all the edges but the last, of course, simply because it's faster than rubber cement.