The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tiny screws for Run Rabbit Run door. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I have a wooden Run Rabbit Run. Last week one of the doors came off. The hinges are still attached to the door but all four screws that hold them to the Run Rabbit Run are gone.

I tried my local hardware store and they don't carry anything nearly that small. I'm sure I can order them on line but I have no clue what size they are.

The wood they go into is quite thin.

Any advice appreciated
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If there are screws still in the door, can you remove one of them and get a clear photograph of it next to a ruler? It would also help to measure it. If flat head (FH), measure the length of the entire screw. If round head (RH) measure just the threaded area, not the head.

Most hardware stores don't carry screw sizes smaller than #4 and some only #6. But what you might want to do is go back to that store and look at the small brass hinges, as they will often come with screws as small as #2. Also Hobby Lobby sometimes has bags of FH brass #2, usually about 3/8" length.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As far as fixing, I find DAP Wood Putty a good solution. Just put a dab in the hole. Don't fill the hole, let set for a few seconds, and put the new screw in. Should tighten right up.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thanks guys,

I'll post a pic of the screw if I can't find one at the store. Last night I filled the holes with Elmers wood glue. Should I just go with that or should I try to remove the glue and use a better filler?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I did forget to ask if the wood that the screws pulled out of was plywood, solid wood or hardboard (Masonite).

It would really help me dispense advice if I could see what you are dealing with. If the screws pulled out of solid wood or plywood it should be possible to "fix" the problem. If it is hardboard, you'd be better off moving the hinges so as to be installed on an undamaged section of the panel. It is really hard to repair hardboard enough to accept screws once it has started to pull apart.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I really appreciate your willingness to help Michael. I have today off so I'm going to take some photos and give you a better look.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for posting the picture.

That screw looks like a metal screw, most hardware stores carry them. That is not a wood screw. More like a heating duct screw to connect the tubes.

The wood is split around the hole, tape off area, fill, sand, predrill small hole in putty. Screw new screw in.

The drill bit should be the same diameter of the screw stem without the treads. I usually hold he bit up to screw, if I can see the threads on each side, that is the size drill bit I use. The teeth of the screw holds the screw in place.

I would use the DAP Wood Putty, there is also DAP Plastic Wood Filler, but it is harder to sand and will take longer.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I suspect that the previous owner set the prop down incorrectly and the door was forced all the way back and pulled out all four screws. He then put the screws back in and everything probably seemed fine but in reality the holes had been compromised.

I used the prop in several shows without incident and then one day the door simply slipped off when putting the prop in it's bag. There was no undue force of any kind.

Bill, thanks for looking at this. You and Michael are very knowledgeable and so helpful.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mike, are the doors wood, as well? Are the hinges screwed to the doors? If so, just move the hinges so they can be screwed into fresh wood. That will be easier than trying to fill, etc. the holes, and probably a stronger repair in the long run, especially for such tiny screws. You really need them to bite something good and solid. Everything is on the back side and you're the only person that will see the difference.

The screw looks like a #2 x 1/4". See if you can find screws in the stores like I mentioned above. You can always cut them shorter if need be. If not, let me know and I'll send you some.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'm going to try Michael's suggestion because the doors ARE wood and the wood used on the back of the prop is so thin that the wood fill wouldn't have much to stick to.

I did find some 1/4" wood screws at the hardware store on my second attempt. Not sure why they couldn't find them the first time I went in.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have uses the wood putty a lot for tightening screws they work and very well. Notice I mentioned a brand name, this is the best, dried fast and hard.

I should also mention the fast and easy solution, just get a wood match stick. Dip in wood glue, insert in hole, and break off the stick even with the hole, or cut with scissors. Wipe off excess glue with damp paper towel. Screw in new screw. Lost of bite and is fast fix. Being it is on the back, don't really have to fill in the splinters around the hole, but I found if wood is brought back to by filling them in, it tighten as the screw holes the putty down against the surface.

Sounds like the head of screw is to large and forces the screws out when opened to far. The previous owner may have used the improper screws. Usually wood screws are used on wood, not metal screws. Brass wood screws are best for most magic props, if not handled to roughly. They come in flat, oval, and round heads.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
A better solution might be to rivet the hinges to the door. That way, there are no screws to pull out of the wood anymore.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I had some issues with some small hinges on a Die-Box until I got a higher quality one, the pins kept falling out because they were not sealed at the ends with caps. I the found the sames one but went one size up as they were sealed on the ends. But they had packs of hinges the same size with screws the same size at Lowes and Coles Hardware. Not sure what the size was right now as that was years ago. I have also used wood filler to fix holes and also hot glued hinges on in the past and that worked fine.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thanks for all the info guys. I have some screws that I think will work. I'm going to try to work on it tonight. Probably going to move the hinges rather than fill holes. It will be bit more work but not a lot.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Woo Hoo!

Fixed my Run Rabbit Run tonight with your advice and my nephews good eyesight. Those tiny screws were too small for me to deal with.

I moved the hinges a bit so the door is now solid as new.

Thanks Again!
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Michael, one more question,

I have the same issue Sirbrad brought up. One of the hinges is loose and the pin seems to be working it's way out.

I super-glued one end of it and that seems to work and the hinge moves well. But I'm wondering how these hinges are supposed to work. What is intended to keep that pin in since neither end is capped? I've had this issue on other props.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge