The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic Tea Kettle- Make your Own (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
whatsilliness
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of whatsilliness
Hello all,

Newbie here, though have been lurking for months now (finally stopped being a creeper and created an account ;+)

Im a performer - physical theater, clown, puppetry - and I have a puppet that comes out of a teapot.
(I have images I can send)

And on this maaagical forum, I found the maaaagical teapot trick---

and am wondering if someone could share with me how to build my own Magic Kettle gimmick?

I have a teapot I love dearly already, and an act with it, the different colored liquids would be a beautiful heightening of the whole act

thank you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 20, 2015, whatsilliness wrote:
Hello all,

Newbie here, though have been lurking for months now (finally stopped being a creeper and created an account ;+)

Im a performer - physical theater, clown, puppetry - and I have a puppet that comes out of a teapot.
(I have images I can send)

And on this maaagical forum, I found the maaaagical teapot trick---

and am wondering if someone could share with me how to build my own Magic Kettle gimmick?

I have a teapot I love dearly already, and an act with it, the different colored liquids would be a beautiful heightening of the whole act

thank you.

Asking for methods is generally frowned upon, but since you are new let me suggest this... find and purchase the cheapest model you can. Consider this to be both your dues paid for the secret and a model by which to gimmick your tea kettle of choice.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
whatsilliness
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of whatsilliness
Michael,

thank you for your response. I guess I've read through the forums and I got the impression of a range of responses in so far as asking how to do create something... and understood this section to be specifically for building your own props....

it strikes me as very wasteful to buy an entire new, manufactured object, only to basically dispose of it.

but yes, I am new, so understand trust is nill :+)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
We do share information regarding the aspects of building, but it is generally assumed that the methods are already known, and the information sought is merely in the engineering or tips on construction, finishing etc. Buying a prop to use as a model (assuming it is public domain) is no more wasteful than purchasing a set of building plans, or a tool with no other purpose than one specific task... other items who's usefulness is obsolete once you've completed the project.

You may find a description of the trick you seek in some publication, but I am not familiar with any specifically.

Although information does find its way out there, fair compensation for such information is considered honorable. Perks come with a good reputation.

EDIT: It seems as if you have found one method.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I think Michael's advice is very good. Even if someone did give you an explanation here it still wouldn't be as good as having a working model in front of you.
I have bought many tricks at the very cheap end of the market just to find out how it works, some of them are such poor quality I would never use them, but I did learn a lot from them.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Look for Jim Steinmeyer's idea on the tea kettle, it is way better than most you will find, fairly easy to alter a standard kettle. I cannot remember which of his books this was in, you will have to 'google' this or ask around..

Chuck
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I believe Jim Steinmeyer's tea kettle routine is in Conjuring Anthology.
Also related is his Hospitality routine, and also I believe the magic of Alan Wakeling book covers some related topics in discussion of his bartender act.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Grant's mak magic kettle. you are still going to need glasses silks and food coloring. the o'll fashion way.
bertolla
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
84 Posts

Profile of bertolla
Hi,

I put a lot of money in this effect "the mystic kettle. Today after a long time I know there is only one kettle builder who can do the job: Nick Wenger.
I present my own routine in every show. It is not only the kettle it is all together. The logistic of this effect with the drinks, the filling, the preparation etc.

Here is my trailer of the Think a drink:
https://vimeo.com/130837141

I have no assistance and at the end I pour out more than 10 beer drinks and inside the kettle is again a small glas with a drink. All can examined.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
If you are looking for something similar but really cool, "Hospitality" would fit the ticket. I was always fascinated by the concept of 'any drink called for' and I have used this with terrific results. You do not use a kettle but a milk carton to pour many drink which are passed out to verify real, the carton is visibly torn up to prove ungimmicked. If anyone needs help obtaining the proper additives that look beyond real to make this convincing, pm me.

You can see Lance Burton and other on youtube perform this...

Chuck Smile