The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Chalk board paint (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Just wondering about how well the black chalk board spray paint works. Im wanting to put it on 1/8" baltic birch.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I tried it once a long time ago. I had an issue with not being able to completely erase what was later written with chalk. Not sure if I did something wrong, or if this is common.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
When I did a small blackboard for my daughters bedroom, I used a 5% sheen pre-catalysed paint.
It worked a treat...For what it was.
If you want to go down the acrylic avenue, I'd try a matt vinyl emulsion.
The vinyl additive should give it some resistance to rubbing and the chalk should come away cleaner.
Though that's just in theory.
Good hunting.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I use ping pong table paint, and a paintbrush. It comes out just like a classroom blackboard (which are rapidly becoming extinct).
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1350 Posts

Profile of imgic
I did chalkboard paint in my daughter's room a few years back. Make sure you prime, then follow directions on the can, and use top quality paint.

Also, I remember "pre-conditioning" the chalk board after painting and drying. Had to rub chalk on it, all of it, then wipe it down. That helps prime it for writing, so it erases.

Good luck.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Gimpy,

It sounds like most people commenting did not use the spray paint. I have rolled it on to Baltic Birch after priming with Kilz with great success. I used Rustoleum Specialty Blackboard Paint. It's a latex. If you use the spray, let us know how it turns out.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Thanks everyone. I have decided to just buy some pre made chalk board. Just afraid to try to paint it myself.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I recently used this stuff on a quick and dirty set I put together ( http://stolzillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/sss-3.jpg ) and it didn't erase very well at ALL when using a dry brush. Washing it however worked fine.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Okay it took a few years but heres what worked for me. Switched the material from 1/8 inch plywood to Masonite. Sanded with 220 until the shine was gone. Primed with black primer, rustolium spray. Three coats of spray rustolium chalk board paint. Primmed the surface with the side of a chalk stick. Erased and the result is almost perfect. don't know why but it just wont work as well on plywood.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I vary coats of rustoleum and the brush on. Gives me a slightly uneven texture more akin to slate in my opinion. And I leave my skates well chalked always, which also helps eliminate ghost images from the past.
Marc