The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: How much time do you waste (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
How many times have you thought "I can make that" only to spend 25 hours to make a 40 dollar item?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
In magic that seldom happens to me. I did discover why not to buy silk yardage and make my own silks, though!

I have made a few musical instruments that would have been simpler to buy. In that case the time is just my fun time and I get at least as much out of the process as I do from the result. Will you enjoy a prop more for making it yourself? If do you have not wasted your time.

-Patrick
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I do the opposite. I buy it and re-make it if needed. I try to improve on things to modify them to my preference. Then, if necessary, I make a copy as a back up.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Quote:
On May 31, 2014, Lou Hilario wrote:
I do the opposite. I buy it and re-make it if needed. I try to improve on things to modify them to my preference. Then, if necessary, I make a copy as a back up.

I too do this.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On May 30, 2014, jay leslie wrote:
How many times have you thought "I can make that" only to spend 25 hours to make a 40 dollar item?

A lot! Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
OMG, I have so many new tools used once, materials, yardage of cloth and leather thong, cork balls, magnets, intersting items form the junk shop.... So many of my experiments turn out to be harder than I thought. Still, the creative outlet and problem-solving is fun.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't waste time. There are times when I am not doing anything in particular. Sometimes, I am doing nothing but staring at something that I should be doing. Sometimes I stare at other things to avoid staring at what I should be doing. Sometimes I stop doing nothing so I can eat or sleep.

There are times when I am hard at work doing meaningless things, and there are times when I am spending a lot of time working on things where I hope for better results than I end up with, because those results are not consistent with the amount of time and/or money I have spent on them. This is usually when I am learning something important.

I produce when it is necessary. In between those times requires an understanding akin to reading between the lines. You learn more about what you are doing if you have that ability. Any day that I am alive, I can thank whatever happened the day before.

But, I don't waste time. Why? Because it is mine, and I can do whatever the hell I want to do with it. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I like to make my own equipment but it's much more expensive
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Always worth it once. Improves cognitive tinkering.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I've always made my own props... sometimes it's more expensive and time consumimg.. but none of it is wasted time. I have rarely walked on stage with a prop that looks like it was dripped all over. I have never walked onstage with a badly stenciled prop. My stuff, when I was performing regularly, never looked like anyone elses.. and often worked just differently enough so that my magicians friends went. HMMM.. if just for a second.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Heh, my rule of thumb- your actual cost and time for any project will be 150% over the estimate. This holds true even after you've factored this rule into your estimate.

Anyway, I tend to view the sunk time as a learning experience; the next time I have to do it, I'll know what to do.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2014, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Heh, my rule of thumb- your actual cost and time for any project will be 150% over the estimate. This holds true even after you've factored this rule into your estimate.

Don't factor in that rule and keep your costs down to estimate x 150%. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company