The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Stirring the pot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
720 Posts

Profile of Bill08
This might not be the right forum for this, but as creators of tricks I think you will sympathize. I'm angry. I've discovered several youtube videos that flat out reveal some pretty good tricks - such as the Card Warp and Nick Trosts Brainwave. I know this sort of thing has been going on for a long time, but shouldn't we be speaking out more against these individuals.
It used to be a guy wearing a mask would reveal a trick. Why the mask? Obviously he knows he's doing something wrong. But these days a kid comes out with "Hey, it's Joe Schmoe, and I'm going to teach you this trick which I didn't invent, but I'll make $1.57 from youtube ads"
I have no problem with teaching moves and flourishes, but when you take the essence of a trick that working magicians use, and exploit it to build up a youtube channel, it's simply unethical. So of course I had to leave some nasty comments. But I was surprised that I was practically the only one who left negative comments.
Here is one of the channels I am concerned with.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuScmttXWzLoXqs8kU3vWA
Maybe if enough magicians leave comments, and speak out against this practice, these youtubers will think twice about their reputation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The best thing to do is ignore them. Please do not copy and post links to any of them as this serves to spread it even more.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
The best thing to do is ignore them. Please do not copy and post links to any of them as this serves to spread it even more.

Mr Baker is right about this. Ignore it. Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Yes, just ignore them, most of them are badly made by geeky kids with no skill or presentational skills at all. The exposure thing has been going on for years but magic continues despite this.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! IGNORE THEM. In general, no one likes to be ignored! "They" will eventually quit and go on to other more interesting things *to them", like smoking funny tobaco or ???

In the '30s, CAMEL cigarettes sponsored a series of illusion exposures in the Sunday Comics. A year or so later, the public had forgotten. The more recent "masked magician"? --ditto!

In the circus, "you" learn that elephant manure doesn't stink, unless you stir it up.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Isn't there something that can be done?

Even though I understand the rationale of ignoring it, I'm not a fan of ignoring something that is obviously wrong.
The music and movie industry are struggling with a similar problem but they are at least making an attempt to control it.
I realize that most magic is not copyrighted so there is a difference.

Perhaps a consortium of major magic organizations can join in monitoring and notifying the offenders and Youtube of legal action.
These kids probably don't know whether it is copyrighted or not and it may prevent them from exposing magic.
There may be other solutions that a dedicated group or committee from the major magic organizations can think of to control the exposure.
An attorney that is also a magician may even do it pro bono.

To get the ball rolling, I would suggest a letter proposing the formation of a small committe written to the presidents of the major magic organizations. (IBM, SAM, Magic Circle, etc.)
The letter would have more credibility if it would come from a well known magician, or even better, a group of well known magicians.
Ihor
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Walter Zany Blaney attempted such as you your suggestions for illusions. Has not worked. He use to have it on his website, have not been their recently.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
Yup! IGNORE THEM. In general, no one likes to be ignored! "They" will eventually quit and go on to other more interesting things *to them", like smoking funny tobaco or ???

In the '30s, CAMEL cigarettes sponsored a series of illusion exposures in the Sunday Comics. A year or so later, the public had forgotten. The more recent "masked magician"? --ditto!

In the circus, "you" learn that elephant manure doesn't stink, unless you stir it up.

Some people don't heed the advice not to pick at scabs. That's a good way to leave a mark that never goes away.

Odd thing about those Camel ads... magicians were in a predictable uproar at the time (see the cartoon in Greater Magic). But these days, magicians will pay high prices for those original ads (or the Camel booklet), as collectible ephemera. Hypocrites.
~michael baker
The Magic Company