The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Problem with Aluminum Primer on Multiplying Bottles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
I am refurbishing some multiplying bottles.

I sprayed on Rust-Oleum "Professional Aluminum Primer" on some of the bottles, then sprayed on Dupli-Color auto lacquer. (I use the Dupli-color because of the wide range of colors available.) The primer stuck to the aluminum bottles really well, but the paint is flacking off the primer.

Do I need to use a Rust-Oleum paint over their primer? Or should I use an enamel? Or should I use a Dupli-Color primer over the aluminum primer? Or just not use the aluminum primer?
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I would suggest taking it to a local autobody shop or large dealership. They generally have paint left over when they have a project. They will usually work with you relatively cheap to powder coat your bottles. Powder coat has an extremely strong finish. It is basically a magnetized paint. Its what they use on car rims
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
766 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I believe your problem was you put a lacquer over an enamel. The lacquer will break down the enamel, that is why the flaking. You can put an enamel over a lacquer, but not the other way.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

If the Dupli-color is lacquer, then Dan is exactly right about putting lacquer over enamel.

Also, I would recommend using all Rustoleum: Primer, color coat, and clear coat.

Ron
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Hello,
Would a gentle sanding of the glass help the paint adhere? You would have to test it of course, so that slight scratching of the glass would help the adhere paint but not enough that the surface would still paint smooth.