The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Assistant Revenge build (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Would you like to see me build my version of Assistant Revenge???
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Go for it.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
To paraphrase Shoeless Joe, "If you build it we will drool".
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Would love to see this as I am currently building my son an Assistant Revenge.

It is not a full sized version, and will maybe change the usual curtain part of it to make it open more like the curtains you get on the windows in your house, but with velcro. The reason for that is that I want to make it more of a comedy routine for my son to perform in his schools show.

The idea is as follows.

1. He'll be put in the A.R.
2. Assistant closes curtain but leaves her head popping out the front.
3. She pulls head back in.
4. My son pops his head out, then rips curtain down to reveal assistant in A.R.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
My thinking is to go minimalistic and do away with the gimmick on the Assistant Revenge and replace it with the gimmick from the Web Illusion.
this is my wider Web illusion
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......b963.jpg
To get a idea of what the illusion would look like think of this much taller with a top and a web fabric http://i44.tinypic.com/2likft4.jpg stappeled to the gimmick.
Effect--girl would back up to the web fabric and be roped in. Bought the wood today $15. Because the Web gimmick idea is not mine I will ge limited on what I can show on the gimmick.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
$15 dollars for wood, you guys have got it lucky over there in the states!!

I like your way of thinking of going minimalistic on it an am looking forward to the finished article. Be good to see what your final costs will be on it materials wise, as for the length of time the illusion lasts, it sure is a lot of money to spend if you were to buy one from a dealer.

I'm doing away with a base on the one that I am building as don't really think it needs one to be honest. Am also doing away with the usual straps or chains and using ropes to the front as you have mentioned. Reason for this is that my son normally performs at his school or the old peoples home in our town, and I thought that straps or chains would not be suitable for his shows.

I try to design my stuff with my son in mind, I try and simplify them so that he can learn to put things together and break things down himself.

Once I have finished the one I am building I will put a picture up on here.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 21:25, sammagic wrote:
$15 dollars for wood, you guys have got it lucky over there in the states!!

I like your way of thinking of going minimalistic on it an am looking forward to the finished article. Be good to see what your final costs will be on it materials wise, as for the length of time the illusion lasts, it sure is a lot of money to spend if you were to buy one from a dealer.

I'm doing away with a base on the one that I am building as don't really think it needs one to be honest. Am also doing away with the usual straps or chains and using ropes to the front as you have mentioned. Reason for this is that my son normally performs at his school or the old peoples home in our town, and I thought that straps or chains would not be suitable for his shows.

I try to design my stuff with my son in mind, I try and simplify them so that he can learn to put things together and break things down himself.

Once I have finished the one I am building I will put a picture up on here.

The wood came from the deck section of the store ( took me over a Hr. to find 6 straigth peices).
Mine will have a very very very thin bace 1/4 " wood that sits on the stage (no wheels) illusion should be so light that 2 people could could pick up and turnaround if they wanted.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
All cut out (not much to see yet).
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......a374.jpg
and
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......b159.jpg
I also bought 7 eye bolts (you could use big eye screws if you don't have a drill press). I do like the more industrial look of the bolts.
Took around one hr. to cut out.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Top and bottom done.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......2978.jpg
The bigger of the two is the bottom (it does not move and the persons must step over this).
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Is it as easy to build as it looks?
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 11:37, wizardpa wrote:
Is it as easy to build as it looks?

I have build a lot of web illusions but this is my first AR so we will see.
I can build a web in about 3 Hrs. this will take around 5 Hrs.(made over 1 month) I think (may not work ). This will not look like your fathers AR. going to hinge on a thin base this weekend.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Base done.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......b552.jpg
The reason for a base---My version of this illusion may be a bit flimsy so I thought it was nesacary for a person/persons weight to help it be strong during the swith
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......8e83.jpg
got everything marked out and the eye bolts in. One thing I did not like about the web illusion was all the time it took to thread the prop so I added clips (the rope just clips in, very fast). The eye bolts and rope have nothing to do with the gimmick
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......efe7.jpg
It does not look square to the eye but is (not sure why this is). I am going to beef up the base.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Sometimes the cameras distort squared objects quite heavily. That may be why it looks odd.
Keep on working. I am curious to see the final project!
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Got a new base made and the prop painted fat black. Also got 2 catches put on the gimmick. I also priced the orange plastic safety fence ( That I wanted to use for the back)--- $32.00 a role-- way over budget --- I will look for something else. I will try to get a picture of the prop up some time next week.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......7413.jpg
sorry about the messy pix (in laundry room), just no time to drag outside to take a good pix.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Finished-- Budget -- It came in on budget at $100. ( as I had a lot of the stuff in the shop). I do think is is around 5 sec. slower than the other gimmick ( as you do have to step over the base and duck under a top chain). I did staple and old carpet on the bottom, incase you want to turn the prop around before you start the trick. The cloth I used was my old sheet cut down and stapled to the gimmick. I wanted a rip down curtain for the front, I used one blackout curtain panel velcroed only in 2 places to a PVC pipe. Magician lifts the curtain on the pipe and put in position--- magician just pulls down on the cloth to release it for the pipe. Hope to get pictures up next week. I come apart into only 4 pices and only 8 bolt hold it togather.