The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Education required (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
michealmachek
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
25 Posts

Profile of michealmachek
Hello,

I've been doing magic since I was 5 years old, I graduated high school last year and am still trying to figure out what exactly it is I want to do! Of course I'd love to do magic full time, as it's always been my dream, but it will take time, which I'm willing to put it.

However, I have expenses, I have bills that need to be paid. Currently I work as a sales rep for a cellular company up here in Canada. It's awesome because I have a 'make your own schedule' allowing me time for performing too! However, I don't foresee it being a long term thing, maybe another year or two at most.

What I really want to do, it create and BUILD my own magic! I'm thinking along the lines of a carpenter, something that allows me to still make an income, not just through the construction of magic props, but cabinets and furniture. I'd love to spend my youth (currently I'm 19) learning a valuable skill that I can build on. I think learning the ropes of carpentry would be a good start, my ultimate goal would be to make world class magic apparatus.

MY QUESTION though, is.. what kind of education, or programs, or information am I going to NEED!? (my dad suggested doing a course on watch making, due to the smaller, intricate, pieces of magic. Maybe welding?) I'm young, so I have time, but I want to do this THE RIGHT WAY, and not waste my time fishing, only to find that I've been in a lake that doesn't have any fish.

So please, if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas. Or anyone who IS a builder who would be willing to help me out, or knows someone who would, it would mean the world to me!

My name is Micheal Machek, I live in BC, Canada. You can find me on Facebook, email me at micheal@michealmachek.com or call me at 250-710-MIKE (6453) if you would like to help me!

I appreciate you all, and all your advice!

Micheal
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Carpentry and woodworking are two different things. You need to learn woodworking. There is a ton of information out there, but you must also have access to a fairly well-equipped workshop in order to make use of whatever it is you learn. You must also make things. Practice makes perfect. You learn more as you go, but you simply must make sawdust. Nothing teaches like experience.

It will also help you to learn other skills. Painting and finishing, metal-working, sewing, working with plastics, electronics and basic electricity are just a few that may or may not come in handy... it all depends on what projects you decide to tackle.

There is already a lot of information here in the Workshop forum. Start reading. You will also notice that many builders will show and discuss their projects here. You can learn a lot from these discussions.

Start with simple projects. Biting off more than you can chew doesn't always mean that you can't finish them, but easier builds can ease the frustration until you get used to certain things. You don't want to feel overwhelmed. This is challenging, but fun.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
Hi Michael. I can tell you a few things from my perspective that may help regarding your concerns...concerns that show a good deal of wisdom that I wish I would have had at your age. First thing I can say is that every bit of information/advice you can "squeeze" from Mr. Baker above, is as good as gold. Read and re-read it.

The desire to perform, as well as, create and tinker-around in a shop is paramount.

In the shop, safety first, quality second, and, speed last. Never skip the safety lessons, as, half of a finger(s) is NOT a "badge of honor".

Take classes in, or, teach yourself perspective drawing. Get yourself a drafting board, or better yet, a drafting table, T-square, and triangle. Devote two-three hours per day for at least two years to this. If done correctly, you will forever view all you see in the world as it would appear in a perspective drawing, vanishing points, etc. As a result, you will be able to do a fairly accurate transfer of anything you can picture in your mind to paper, whether it be an overall design, or, a gimmick, etc. I find it easy to reverse-engineer from a perspective drawing to plan drawings if needed. Books on perspective drawing, product illustration, and architectural delineation are highly recommended. Also, make your own color wheel using only the three primary colors, along with the grey scale to match. Once this has been done, it will always be in your head for quick reference. I'm always referring to the color wheel in my head when matching up tips, spacers, and, shafts for wands.

I sort-of like your Dad's advice on the watch-making course, or, something like that, especially if you have a preference for close-up magic. My years in the workplace were spent applying precision grinding to industrial tooling. Therefore, I have a special appreciation for close-tolerance work utilizing micrometers, calipers, depth micrometers, and other such instruments used in that profession. I use these every time I make an item.

Working with model railroaders, architectural model builders, display builders, haunted attractions and such, when you can find them, can open up a lot of experience in working with different materials. Sort-of the same thing as Mr. Baker says, I always say, "the best way to learn to build something is to build it." Do not be discouraged by mistakes and failures...the best opportunities to learn.

Do not go into debt. Collect tools for the shop with a view towards the end goal(s), both known and unknown. Most useful and versatile first...luxury tools last. There will be enough stress without having the pressure of monthly payments hanging over your head.

Try to plan to have the shop in a totally separate building from your house if possible. Invest in the best dust collection system you can afford. The shop will not stay clean without it.

It is beneficial for everyone in every profession to maintain the best communication skills possible. After all, that is how we convey our ideas to others. My high school English teacher always said that her class was the most important subject. It was much later when I realized how true that statement was.

The wise saying that seems to me to hold most true and valuable is the following formula for success: "Preparation plus opportunity equals success. Where opportunity does not exist, it may be created."

Last but not least, make time to walk in the woods and dream.

I hope some, or, all of this is helpful. Best of luck!

Michael
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great advice on learning drafting and perspective drawing. I had a basic drafting course in Junior High School, and it's amazing how often that little bit of knowledge comes into play in my work. Same with geometry.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Wow what great advice from Michael and Michael. (Hey, I'm the only non Michael in this post.) The only thing I can add is make friend with woodworkers in your area. Some areas have woodworking clubs. These are great places to learn. Perhaps you could get a job working for someone in the woodworking field. Good luck.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Michael,

For me carpentry and woodworking went hand in hand. My Dad was a homebuilder who had started as a carpenter and I wanted to be like my dad. I had the chance to go to work at a very young age so by the time I was out of high school I had quite a bit of experience. I had a shop in the basement that I worked in the nights. Carpentry was my day job, woodworking and magic were my hobbies.

My tools in my first shop were all second hand and cobbled together from broken down tools and castaways. Most things had to be done with hand tools. This forced me to learn how to use tools like hand planes, hand saws, ect. Learned a lot in that little shop and built some nice magic.

In the 70s I met a local magic builder and spent time at his shop. At first I just swept the floors and tried to pick up on any shop tips I could. Later I was trusted to do more.

I have had very little formal training and learned mostly by trial and error. The library was also a good teacher.

I think every builder here would agree that the abilities to build marketable magic takes many skills and years to learn. I was over 40 before I sold my first magic product.

Good luck on your journey,

Gimpy
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
If you are not named "Michael", you have to pay extra to post here! Yes, my father was a master carpenter also, but alas, I was too obsessed with other things at that age to hang around and learn something.

Michael
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
All the "Michaels" (and "Micheals") need to be assigned a number or nickname.

Hey Gimpy! Good to see you chiming in here! Haven't seen you post in awhile. I thought you'd decided to go underground like Tabman used to do. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Hey Michael B,

I lurk around here every day but just don't post as much as I used to. There are so many folks in here that can offer better advice than me so I just read most of the time. I sure do miss Tabmans posts.

Gimpy