The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Inflating a basketball using CO2 cartridges (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I started this project some years back (I think my original post was in 2009??) - and haven't gotten too much further. So I'm picking it back up. I'm having trouble finding all the info I need, though, and am hoping someond here can help.

Basically, I'm using a bicycle tire inflator with a 12 or 16 gram CO2 cartridge to infkate a basketball. And yes I'd like it to bounce a bit when I'm done. I've got the interior volume of the ball as 456 in3, and inflation pressure as 8 psi. A 12g cartridge fills it okay visually, but not quite sufficient to bounce decently. And there was still gas left in the cartridge.

So my guess is at some point the pressues equalized and no more gas could push in. And here's the end of my knowledge. I can't find the volumes and pressures for these cartridges. Would a 16g cartridge have more pressure, or just more volume? I think they're the same physical size, so it would make sense that a 16g would have both more gas and more pressure. But enough of each to fully fill a ball?

If I need xx in3 at yy psi, how much more volume and pressure should I expect to have to use?

Ed
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This is a lot larger than I thought it would be, but:

Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2792 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Have you researched the marketed version?
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Ed,

The 12 gram cartridge can have anywhere from 800 - 1000 psi. in them. Temperature will affect pressure in a CO2 cartridge, raise the temp you will also raise the pressure.

Nick
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Clinton: looks like lots of good info - just not sure how to use it.

Sponge: marketed version?? I haven't seen one.

Remote guy: temp vs pressure is another concern with my Arizona summers. Trying to get it workable first.

My initial concern was getting the ball inflated to a point where pressure required to push the air in will be more than a cartridge can supply, unless I get a cartridge with xx% more volume and / or yy% more pressure than is required by the ball. Or get a four-foot tank and a hose long enough to go backstage!!

Ed
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 21:29, Ed_Millis wrote:

Billboard? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2792 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Well this was the effect:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
but after reading the description, it must no longer be available, nor did they bounce.

s
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I used to have one of these. Couldn't find another - they stopped making them. No, they didn't bounce. They also had a visible flaw (or at least mine did). And trying to produce two could become quite the wrestling match.

Ed
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
PSI = pounds per square inch
The volume of the basketball is too great
Find a smaller ball or a bigger cartridge -- or both

Yes - a bigger cartridge 14 g vs 12 g will equate to more PSI in the same volume basketball.

Test with a much smaller ball and see what happens. Experimentation is your friend.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 22:05, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 21:29, Ed_Millis wrote:

Billboard? Smile

Replacement for the Invisible Deck? Call out any tire type, tire size, and cartridge, and I'll prove that I knew you would pick that!

Ed