The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Self adhesive flocked paper? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Where can I get this in flat black? The closest thing I can find in the craft stores is midnight black, which is not quite the same as flat black. I need it for a square circle inner tube and other props with black art.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 10:32, makeupguy wrote:
This might be it
http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-fabric/=oek5c5

That's what I use.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 12:21, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 10:32, makeupguy wrote:
This might be it
http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-fabric/=oek5c5

That's what I use.

Do you get it from that link? Just want to make sure first because the minimum order for this item is $25.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Perrello
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes. It is not cheap, but it is really good stuff. If you are using the self-adhesive (which I recommend), a 3' roll puts you over that minimum. If you want the plain back, you'll have to order a lot more. For my money, I'd rather not deal with separate adhesives. I went down that road before I found this stuff.

Since the price is the same per foot regardless of the roll size, I usually order a few 3' rolls at a time. They are easier to handle than a bigger, heavier roll would be. At this point, I would not have a need for a piece any larger than that.

McMaster Carr is a wonderful company to deal with. They ship extremely quickly.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Here's what I use. I think I got this information from Michael. I like the quality very much. Once you order something from Rockler, they start sending you specials such as free shipping on any order.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9852&site=ROCKLER
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 18:31, Ron Reid wrote:
Here's what I use. I think I got this information from Michael. I like the quality very much. Once you order something from Rockler, they start sending you specials such as free shipping on any order.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9852&site=ROCKLER

I recall this site, but I think someone else may have posted it before, although I have ordered other product from Rockler. I had been advised at one time of Edmund Scientific, and had used theirs, but they don't seem to show it on their website anymore. The advantage of the Rockler product is the variety of colors. The disadvantages would be the size limitation (if that matters to you), and their price is considerably higher.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I ordered from McMaster Carr yesterday and received it today. This is definitely the right stuff for my black art props. Thanks so much guys!

Mike
Mike Perrello
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Ha! Mcmaster...had no idea they sell velvet. I use them all the time for hard goods, never thought of them for soft goods.

Anyhow, how "black" is this? I used to buy "triple" velvet for backdrops,etc.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
This stuff is BLACK!! However. it's not a woven velvet.. it's flocked onto a non woven backing.. and is somewhat fragile. I used it on several square circles.. but I'm tempted to change to actual black velvet... but the stuff from McMaster Carr cuts well.. and leaves no fuzz. Real Velvet makes a mess when you're cutting it even if you spray glue the back BEFORE you cut it.. which is what I normally do to keep the mess to a minimum.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The velvet flocked paper is meant to be applied to a substrate, like the inside of a Square Circle. It is not going to replace velvet drapery for backdrops (if that was the question).

It is very black.

Michael, do you spray, then cover with a backing like wax paper before cutting? I would assume that trying to cut a sticky surface would be a nightmare.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Thanks. I meant that I used to call out "triple" black velvet for any BA effect that I designed. (I design effects, don't perform). One particular (large) effect was for backdrops and tables.

So, I'm thinking this stuff (mcmaster flocked velvet w/ adhesive back) may work well for lining insides of small cabinets, BA wells, etc.

I don't have an application in mind right now, just keeping this info in my back pocket or virtual filing cabinet of solutions.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Knowing what's available is certainly a big part of the battle. I am always grateful for resources, even if I have no immediate need for something.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Was getting ready to order some of this McMasters carr velvet but then wondered if its sturdy enough. I need it to go around a hinged corner. I have bought the Rockler stuff and it works but way expensive. Whats the main difference?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gimpy, I know of the Rockler product, but have not used it. I used to buy from Edmond Scientific. Their product was used to line and light-dampen telescopes. When they stopped supplying it, I went with McMaster Carr and have used them ever since. I have used it over hinges, but repeated use will cause the adhesive to loosen over time and use. When this became impractical, I have used flocking to cover hinged areas. Not knowing your precise application, I can't offer any more usable info.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
For what it's worth I highly reccomend this. It's durable, flexible, sticks well, is cost effective, and is uber light killing. I buy it in bulk.

https://www.avoutlet.com/home-theater-fabrics/
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Dannicus wrote:
For what it's worth I highly reccomend this. It's durable, flexible, sticks well, is cost effective, and is uber light killing. I buy it in bulk.

Thanks for that link. I'll give this stuff a test. I think specific applications will determine which product will work best. The stuff from McMaster Carr is only flexible one axis at a time. You can't do compound curves well. But that stiffness is a distinct advantage when lining the inside of tight spaces. It will hold its shape as you maneuver it into position, and therefore less apt to misalign.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for that link. I'll give this stuff a test. I think specific applications will determine which product will work best. The stuff from McMaster Carr is only flexible one axis at a time. You can't do compound curves well. But that stiffness is a distinct advantage when lining the inside of tight spaces. It will hold its shape as you maneuver it into position, and therefore less apt to misalign.

Thought I would get a few sheets of this to see what its like. $18.60 minimum shipping ouch!
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2017, gimpy2 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thought I would get a few sheets of this to see what its like. $18.60 minimum shipping ouch!

Gimp IM me and I will send you some samples, It is the stuff we use on the gimmick of the Miracle Prediction Chest.

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
Quote:

I agree. the stuff I linked to is vinyl backed and quite flexible. it is also really stretchy especially if applied in a hot garage in the middle of summer as we found out.