The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Sewing patterns for magical props (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Hi,
I am looking for sewing patterns for things like change-bags and thelike. Does anything like this exist?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
There are topit plans out there somewhere !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You're more likely to find blueprints for props and schematics then fabric patterns.
All the patterns, we have, were originally generated by trial and error. Aside from Topits, most other patterns involve quick-change costumes.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Jay Lesli, I already noticed that. ;-) But I am looking for sewing patterns not for magic clothing but magic props.

Do you know any books that have at least one sewing pattern in it?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've never seen sewing patterns for any tricks, and I've sewn a lot of different things.

If you know how to sew, then you probably already know how to read and follow a pattern. It's not a far stretch to make your own, unless you plan to put it into someone else's hands for them to make props for you. In that case, you'd obviously want it bulletproof.

In some cases what I have done is to get my hands on a cheap, broken, or worn out version of the prop, dissect it and use the pieces as a template to make a pattern from.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
Its not really a pattern but I know of an article that shows a selection egg bags types.
It has some measurements and the type of egg bag a performer used.
http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/arteggbag.htm

As for the other cloth or fabric items Michael is right locate a used and/or cheap one and dissect it.

Magicrma
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Edith
Although it may be disappointing to hear that there aren't many existing patterns, perhaps that's an opportunity instead - develop some and market them!

Larry S.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I have a small, old paperback called The Puffin Book of Magic by Norman Hunter, published in 1971. Basically a magic book for kids. (I was in Junior High then.) It has instructions on how to make a color changing handkerchief and a bag that changes color each time you turn it inside out. They aren't full-blown patterns, exactly, but diagrams and measurements are there.

That's the closest I've got.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green