The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Rubber Cement vs Silicone Craft Glue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BobSled
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of BobSled
Hi peeps,

I'm about to make some card gaffs and after a frustrating trudge around town found that I can't get hold of rubber cement in any shops! (I'm in the UK). Just a quick question really: does anyone have experience with locally-sourced alternatives, and what would you recommend?

I saw some silicone craft glue on my travels and it said on it that among other things it's good for card making (the greeting kind I guess) and paper crafts - but is it a viable alternative to rubber cement for card gaffs? The requirements are that it will remain flexible and won't go hard or crack and separate like Pritt Stick etc would.

Thanks in advance Smile

Bob Sled
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Try a wood workers supply for rubber cement or Contact Cement
BobSled
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of BobSled
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 15:27, jay leslie wrote:
Try a wood workers supply for rubber cement or Contact Cement

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip! I tried a craft shop, a stationer's, a second craft shop, a model hobby shop, a haberdashery and even a bike shop (the puncture repair stuff is similar AFAIK), but I didn't think about finding a wood worker's supply Smile

Shame its a bank holiday weekend here, there won't be any open until Tuesday at the earliest :-/

Bob Sled
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They don't call it rubber cement in the UK, they call it Copydex, don't know if that is a brand name or not, never been to the U.K.

If all your doing is gluing playing cards together, then whits stick glue is your best solution these days. Pritt is a good brand, and I believe they sell it in the U.K. Just don't use the kids glue stick that is purple and turns clear, it is not strong enough.
BobSled
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of BobSled
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 16:09, Bill Hegbli wrote:
They don't call it rubber cement in the UK, they call it Copydex, don't know if that is a brand name or not, never been to the U.K.

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes Copydex is almost the same as rubber cement, but with a crucial difference: Copydex is water-based and so for gluing cards there's a good chance they'll absorb some of that water and crinkle up in the process.

Quote:
If all your doing is gluing playing cards together, then whits stick glue is your best solution these days. Pritt is a good brand, and I believe they sell it in the U.K. Just don't use the kids glue stick that is purple and turns clear, it is not strong enough.

Pritt Stick, at least the type here in the UK, tends to dry hard and kinda crispy. It is probably fine for locator cards and so on but I don't think it would be good for sticking cards together that would be directly handled a lot. I think what we have in shops here is the equivalent of the kids' purple stuff that goes clear (but instead starts out white). I think UK and US formulas for the white sticks are different, oh well, thank you for the suggestions Smile

I just don't get why rubber cement is so hard to find; I'm pretty sure it was as abundant as it is in the US when I was a kid.

Bob Sled
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yep, the Pritt Glue Stick here leaves the card very pliable. I like to use also for gluing dollar bills together. After the tricks wears the bills out, just run under warm water and pull apart, wipe off the glue and spend.

Seems U.K. has created a lot of restrictions, but I do remember some toxic glues being discussed on the Café, that the U.K. still sells and the U.S. does not. Seems the rules are messed up.
BobSled
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of BobSled
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 16:54, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Yep, the Pritt Glue Stick here leaves the card very pliable. I like to use also for gluing dollar bills together. After the tricks wears the bills out, just run under warm water and pull apart, wipe off the glue and spend.

I totally should have picked some up on my last visit! I'm always envious of the range of stuff you guys have in your stores.

Quote:
Seems U.K. has created a lot of restrictions, but I do remember some toxic glues being discussed on the Café, that the U.K. still sells and the U.S. does not. Seems the rules are messed up.

Very likely, yes, it wouldn't surprise me if it was due to some edict by Europe. But saying that, the crazy thing is I've found I can buy the exact same Elmer's brand rubber cement on various UK-based sites! Not as cheap as if it was store-bought but I might just go ahead and order some and try to be patient :-(
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
As Bill said copydex is your answer, cheaper and available at Staples.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
BobSled
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of BobSled
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 20:11, george1953 wrote:
As Bill said copydex is your answer, cheaper and available at Staples.

OK, I'll give it a whirl but I'm concerned about its water content wrinkling up the cards. I love those crazy lenses you have in your avatar pic btw Smile