The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic bus? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Here is my own version on the magic bus. Dr. Solar's electric gypsy vardo, Casa del Sol. A year or so back people were jiving Buzz Lawrence for his revamping a bus into his own version. Here is a clip from today's outcome. The lower framing was finished yesterday. This unit will have a 850 watt solar array much like my World's First Solar Powered Theatre. This will be a grease fueled Green Machine. There will be more updates as I go along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejf7aeWi_dk
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
God, I love it when a magician can do more than magic tricks!! Smile

You sir, are one of my heros!! Aside from the environmentally solid reasons for what you are doing, I think this is a great example of a magician who has taken self-sufficiency to a new high.

This folks, is what the history of magic shows was built on!! With so many, so-called "magicians" out there, who learn all their material from a DVD, buy their best props from the rip-off market, and cannot work a tool any more complicated than a glue stick, I am so glad to see proof that there is still innovation and elbow grease at the foundation of this show.

~michael

PS - Anyone who does this kind of work while wear both bowlers and Greek fisherman hats, is alright in my book!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
LMAO Michael. That is one heck of a compliment coming from you, my hero. Yes, I enjoy most looking back at the magi of yesteryear like John Henry Anderson The Wizard of the North (1814–1874) was a professional magician, born in The Mearns, Scotland. Anderson is credited with helping bring the art of magic from street performances into theatres and presenting magic performances to entertain and delight the audience.

Those performers of old built and rebuilt there own theaters time after time due to loss from fires from the old stage lighting and carelessness of the audience or performers. Their love of magic, of entertaining was not diminished from setbacks. Bill Robinson, Chunk Ling Soo began by making props of brass, soldering metals and tinkering in the workshop, creating wonderment like you, yourself Michael, do day in, day out.

I find your endorsement of the highest order. Thank you, or, my hats off to you, any one of them. lol
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, the original magicians had to do it themselves if it was to get done at all.

I certainly wasn't fishing for any compliments, but I appreciate your kinds words. So before someone tells us to get a room... Ha-ha!!

But yes, these old traveling magicians had to do it all. If something broke, they had to fix it. That included the props, the truck, or even the entire theater. I read somewhere that ( I think) Nicola, had a theater constructed from bamboo that would hold 2000 people!!! Can you even fathom that???
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Back at it compeers,
here is the update on my solar electrified gypsy vardo. This vehicle will have 850 watts of solar, the same as my traveling performance theater. This vehicle will run on "doughnut" grease, bio fuel when complete. The body is off, tomorrow begins a new chapter. I'm hoping to finish by August, 2013.Do you think it will "fly". It will be, as Dr. Solar is, a testament to steampunk ideology and pre-industrial revolution quality craftsmanship. When you go to this clip, if so, please view my other clips to see some of my performances at various venues. Thanks ahead, enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNj2awiEvg
www.drsolar.com
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
81 Posts

Profile of Ralis
That is fantastic I have a 35 foot school bus I converted for Band touring but now it just may become magical!
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-05-12 03:04, Dr. Solar wrote:
Here is my own version on the magic bus. Dr. Solar's electric gypsy vardo, Casa del Sol. A year or so back people were jiving Buzz Lawrence for his revamping a bus into his own version.

I was surfing the Café and was surprised to see my name.

Terry, your doing a really great job on your conversion and it is much improved from when you first drove it to my office, looks like a very sturdy frame

Here is a photo of my finished Magic Bus