The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Medicine Show Kuma Tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I would like to refinish this in a style suitable for the 1890's. I have not done any of my own research yet, but thought you folks would probably have advice or ideas.

Thanks in advance.
De Wayne

Click here to view attached image.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Those, sir, are collectable... in that condition. Don't touch them.

I'll see if I have some old tubes you can mess-up.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Oh boy. I'm glad I didn't just jump right in to stripping these.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's always a conundrum. Original condition is preferred by collectors. But there have been times when I weighed the value of a piece of apparatus for its collective value, versus its value as a tool for the show. In some cases, I have found that modifications made the prop more valuable as a tool. By using it in a certain context, it was able to generate far more on my investment than had I relied on it's monetary return by preserving it intact.

However, there are times when I have a mental conflict altering a nice piece of apparatus. Example: One of my very good customers is an extremely knowledgeable collector with an amazing collection. He asked me to redo a particular piece. I questioned this request, mainly because the piece was in excellent condition cosmetically. But in the end, he is the owner, and just yesterday I sprayed a nice solid coat of primer on a Bob Klein See-Through Double Dove Production.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
I have recently seen a couple of these sell. One went for 84.00 $ that was beat up and another that was pretty nice went for over 110.00 $ if I remember right and I saw another set sell really fast for 65.00 $... They always sell.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Just curious... how big is that set?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I'm facing the same dilemma with a different prop. After reading Payne's book, "Sometimes The Laughs Are Just For Me," I've decided I should probably Payne-ize my die box. The problem is, back around 1983 I bought an Arturo Twin Di Box from Abbott's for $70. Today it's in virtually mint condition except for a very tiny bit of rust on the inside of the metal shell. I see them selling for more than $200 used now.

So, Payne has implanted the idea in my brain that there's no logical reason to have a four inch die at all, let alone one that flies from a hat to an oriental style box. This renders my prop useless to me.

So should I sell the really well made, very pretty Twin Di Box and buy a cheap one to turn into a useful prop? Or should I repaint the Twin Di to create a better story that I can use in my act?

Or should I ignore Payne altogether (after paying $30 for his book) and just have a big yellow die fly into a green oriental box in a "historical" magic act.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
They are only about 5 inches tall with the little fishbowl being about 2.85 in diameter. Even though they're not real big, I bet someone would love to have them sitting on their shelve.

I have them, just need to get in the storage area. I promise to do it tomorrow, late.

CJ. I also have Arturo's twin Die boxed. I probably have 3 complete sets and other assorted parts. Those are also collectors pieces IMO. I (me) I would sell those at a profit and purchase a slightly less expensive Die Box that will "Fill the Bill". Or you can destroy the set you have which will theatrically make the value of mine increase a tiny bit.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I would keep the Twin Di Box as is, either add to the collection, or sell to another collector. Then, I'd look for a cheapo Die Box to snazzy up (or down) for use in the show. There are plenty on the market that I'd have no problem burning, let alone repainting. Smile

Jay, thanks for the info on the Kuma Tubes' size.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
DeWayne, I think you need to weigh how much it will cost you to replace your own set with a new one to "remake," and whether the quality will be as good.

My die box is perhaps "collectible," but you can still buy exactly the same one with the same paint job (at Abbott's for $275).

If I sold my Arturo Twin Di to a collector, I doubt that I'd find as well made a box on the market. It's impossible to tell the quality from an online description and photo. Do I want to spend $110 on a nice die box to customize when I already own a nice die box? If I'm going more high end, why not just have Michael Baker or someone make one for me in the design I want? Well, then it's no longer a do-it-yourself project.

Nice Kuma Tubes in the hand might be better for you to work with than unknown Kuma Tubes, if any, in the bush.

Jay, your Twin Di boxes might go up in value a little when I remove mine from the market. I'll let you know, so you can adjust your insurance coverage.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ha-ha!! That's what I thought about the Kline piece I'm painting... "Well, the others still out there just went up in price!"

If I wanted to actually use a piece, instead of just displaying it, even if it was in remarkable condition, there would have to be other factors gnawing at me. Some level of respect for the history may be in order. But, if a piece draws only in the neighborhood of about a hundred dollars if sold, I wouldn't be able to help thinking that I could make more than that back on a single show, regardless of what I did to it. Mostly, I believe these pieces were born to be performed. One only needs to decide where the true value is.

But, here is the best advice... While building a fence and trying to decide how to handle one task with no right or wrong answer, I asked a friend who was helping me what I should do. He said, "Do whatever you want. It's your fence."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Let's get real here. These so-called Kuma Tubes are not real Kumas. They are two pieces of sheet metal (one punched), rolled, soldered, and an ugly classless paint job. The fishbowl is what you can win at the fair with a ping pong ball. It is junk. Do what you want with them. You could not make them worse looking.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-05-05 15:38, Magic Researcher wrote:
Let's get real here. These so-called Kuma Tubes are not real Kumas. They are two pieces of sheet metal (one punched), rolled, soldered, and an ugly classless paint job. The fishbowl is what you can win at the fair with a ping pong ball. It is junk. Do what you want with them. You could not make them worse looking.
MR

Ah, the voice of reason...

...and then came Bronson.

From Wikipedia:

"...Bronson becomes a vagabond searching for the meaning of life and seeking the experiences life has to offer (as revealed in the series pilot). During his travels, he shares his values with the people he meets along the way and lends a helping hand when he can."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
DeWayne
Me thinks we have too much innovatory. This item, complete with fishbowl, was in me hands a month ago, now we can't find it.

We are now on a mission and shall continue regardless of whether thou want-ith it, or not.

Signed,
Compelled.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
@ Michael

These tubes are larger than I remember. But I like them.

The yellow tube is 6" high and 5 1/4" in diameter
The red tube is 7" tall and 4 1/2" in diameter
The BA tube is 6" tall and 4" in diameter (& has tabs in the bottom to hold the fish bowl)

+++++++++++++++++++++

@ Jay

It is very nice of you to offer a set that is rougher shape. But I just bought these for $65 shipped to refinish. To me it is worth the $65 to refinish. HOWEVER - your initial post prompted me to "look around" to make sure I was not making a mistake. And of all the pictures I see of the Mak/Grant Nu-Way Kuma Tubes NONE have the same stenciled "fireworks" that mine has (see pic in first post). Every one I see online has the circle and rays image like the picture attached here. Soooo I just wonder IF these might in fact have some extra value to the Mak collector. Hhhmmmmmmmmm

Click here to view attached image.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Jay! It just now occurred to me that I purchased an item from you when I was looking for Kuma Tubes 10 years ago! I think it was similar in set up, but at the end you produce a can of sarsaparilla. I wonder were I have that set. Smaller as I recall. Yet again...Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Also want to thank everyone else for their comments. I appreciate everyone.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yep those are Enchanted Cylinders and even though I have 25 sets, for some reason they are not on the site.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Ta Da... The fish bowl is actually 3.96 in diameter and 3.7 tall, now that I see it.

How about 20 dollars for three tubes and the fish bowl and 12 dollars for US mail?
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Jay - I'll take em. PM me your PayPal address. THANK YOU!

Now that we have that resolved. Any one have advice/ideas on what color scheme to paint this to use in a medicine show?

Thanks!
DeWayne