The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Painting help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
At the local dollar store today I found some plastic baseball bats that have the silhouette of a champagne bottle. I’m planning a bit of expanding phone in the bottom to give some weight. What I’m pondering how to paint the lime green plastic to look like glass. Suggestions please.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
You might try the Krylon plastic paint... however, I worry it would flake off after drying if the plastic is flexed a bit. I'd at least start there... then maybe a clear coat.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Expanding Foam will not add any weight to the item. Better to use some large metal washers.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The Krylon paint, designated for use on plastics, bonds with the surface. I would think that minute flexing of the surface should not present any real problem.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
You can also try adhesion promoter for plastic. You have to be light spray-handed though or your could melt your plastic ball bat. Just a mist will get it sticky and ready for almost any paint. True Value Hardware sells good cheap basic spray paint. Auto parts shops sell the adhesion promoter.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
>> Expanding Foam will not add any weight to the item.

That depends on the foam,,

If he is refering to the stuff you buy at homedepo/lowes you are correct, light weight junk,

but there are some foams on the market that are more dense and can add just the right amount of weight as well as fill the bottom
of an item. I filled a few rubber chickens with this stuff and made a few "juggling chickens" gave them just the right weight and balance along with being ridged

This foam is for architectural castings, I hear it is used for stage props as well.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Yes, I have access to some architectural foam, which is heavier than the foam in a can from a hardware store.

I would appreciate insight on how to paint to get the effect of glass bottle. Yes, I know about plastic paint and coating with a clear coat. Where I need help is how to create the effect of light on glass.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Thought I should follow up on this project.

I asked the question to a friend who is an architect by trade and an oil painter by hobby. He asked if he could try.

If I understood his process: 1) a plastic-friendly primer; 2) oil paints to get a bottle-green color; 3) many coats of eurethane, in between which he used an emery cloth to "shine" the eurethane.

He also had several bottles of champagne from whcih he soaked the labels and affixed. The tops are simply the "metal" tape used in duct work (not duct tape!), around which run bands of gold ribbon tape. From a distance, they look like three bottles of champagne.

While they are still a bit light, the decorating process did balance them out fairly well.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Would love to see a photo.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Tim Ayres
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tim Ayres
Yes, pics please!

An excellent tip on that pourable foam, I will be trying that out in the future.