The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Knobs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
I'm trying to build a few small boxes, and need some small knobs for the doors.
anyone know where to get them? the box size is 4"x4"x7".
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Get a small lathe.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Made to Measure Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Made to Measure Magic
I use doll's house knobs on a number of the smaller props that I build.

Dave.

http://www.madetomeasuremagic.co.uk
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I'm not sure if they have them as small as you need, but Lowe's and Home Depot has a pretty good selection of knobs and cabinet hardware.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Small knobs are vanishing from places like Lowes and Home Depot. They used to have them, but like anything I want to use, they stop stocking it. Ace still has a couple types. Or you can order online from Rockler, Woodcraft, etc.

Jay,

That was funny.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Specialty woodworking stores like Rockler, Woodcraft & Lee Valley are probably your best bet like Michael said. Search for jewelry box hardware on line and have the smelling salts nearby. These things are not cheap. I have seen some at real hardware stores, not the big box stores. I even found some reproduction small box hardware in an antique store. I buy something every time I visit there. Who knows how long these things will be available? Good luck, finding and modifying appropriate hardware is one of the most challenging parts of building magic these days.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I had a few more thoughts on knobs. Search online for piano restoration parts or for lamp parts. The "keys" for turning on light sockets are sold seperately and may be just what you need. The knurled thumbscrews that hold glass shades in place may also work. The knobs for lifting the keyboard cover on a piano may also be the right size and are not too expensive.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Depending on the look you want, don't overlook junk that can be found at thrift stores. Sometimes it's worth a couple bucks to buy something just to cannibalize it for the hardware. I saved all the knobs on an old chest of drawers that was destined for the curbside pickup because they look good on faux vintage props.
~michael baker
The Magic Company