The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Important info about building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Hello,
Today I was at Home Depot buying materials to build a Modern Cabinet (Abbott's plans) and the sales associate told me that a professional builder at home depot could build the illusion for free. Apparently this is for all Home Depots. This helped me a lot and I hope it helps other magicians out there to.
-Ben
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Looking forward to seeing your new illusion.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Just a small warning...most illusion building is much closer to cabinet or furniture making than it is to normal construction projects. Like Michael I would love to see pictures of the construction project and the finished product. Best of luck to you.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Lol. that is very funny.
So, if I buy a garage opener they will install it for free? How about a new kitchen? If I buy all the pavers will they install a new patio for me for free?
Same thing isn't it?
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Wonder if they would build a house for me for free?
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
I was the assembler for Lowes. BBQ, patio funiture, wheelbarrows, all manner of items sold at the store for display or for customers who could not assemble the item.

Never came across a project building a custom item for free. No profit for the store. The tools allowed for the assembler would not include those needed for such projects.

I think the sales associate misunderstood the role of the store assembler.

Pete
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Actually, I gave the man the plans on Saturday. He said he would take a look at them over the weekend and I could come back on Sunday or Monday to build. The best part was that he said that he wouldn't be doing it alone and I would be able to help him. This gives me the experience and knowledge of illusion building. I may go in today or tomorrow to build it, so I will post photos once I return.
-Ben
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Keep us all posted, this sounds verrrrrrry interesting!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well if this is true, Lowe's is going to be very busy building magic props for free!!

Honestly, I don't think this can be true. You have signed up for a woodworking class and do not know it. If you can build it there you will be the one doing the work. Most woodworking classes require a skilled person to be watching the person cut and assemble. It is a safety thing.

It is good to have a skilled person work out all the dimensions that are not provided in the plans. Makes things easier. I hope you have a deep wallet, as wood is very expensive today. Not to mention all the other assembly needs.

So if you use only 10 nails do you have to buy the whole pack of 100 nails? If you only use half a sheet of wood, do you have to pay for the whole 4'x8' sheet?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'd go back and double-check the info. I recently took on a part-time evening job at Home Depot to help fund several of my side projects and they are very adamant about seeing to ALL of the customers needs, I would be a bit cautious about having a store associate fabricate an illusion for you. They encourage all employees to push that "we" can come and do installs on anything we sell in the store (ie., flooring, electrical, insulation, roofing, etc.). On the other hand, several of the older guys I work with have extensive furniture and cabinet making backgrounds and have ended up working at Home Depot to fulfill that craving to work within those industries... it would be the equivalent to you or I working in a magic shop to constantly feed the need to be around magic! Again, you never know. As far as there being a wood-shop class, they do offer a little workshop on most Saturdays to teach the DIY folks about simple home repairs, and assist the little ones in building pinewood derby cars, bird houses, and picture frames. Keep us informed!

~Bryan
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Bryan,
Thank you for you response. I called up the contractor/ builder man who works with home depot. He told me that he would help and guide me through the process of building it. He would also tell me the exact items I need to complete the project so I would not have to make many returns. So once again, he would not be actually building it, but helping me.

-Ben
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Wow... at the store location?
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Bryan,
I talked to the guy today and he led me through the store showing me the exact parts I needed. He talked to the manager, who said that we couldn't build it in the store. Then man said he would come to my house and build it in a couple of hours for a VERY small price. I figured this is better because it saves me a ton of time!
I'll post pictures of the finished product.
-Ben
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
That's awesome...cant wait to see the pictures... I'll have to mention this in our next store meeting because we are always being told of associates who go the extra mile to assist customers... that's very cool!
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 17:17, Benjamagic wrote:
Bryan,
I talked to the guy today and he led me through the store showing me the exact parts I needed. He talked to the manager, who said that we couldn't build it in the store. Then man said he would come to my house and build it in a couple of hours for a VERY small price. I figured this is better because it saves me a ton of time!
I'll post pictures of the finished product.
-Ben

What price did he quote for the build??
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Now that's customer service!

Steve
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
The man said he worldwide do it for about 75 dollars a day
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Count me in on this one...I can't wait to see the finished product
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
The man said he worldwide do it for about 75 dollars a day

Just some things to think about how many days to do the build and what is a day for him 8 Hr. If I make a rough proto type and take it to my carpenter he Usually come in arould $400.00 + supples( unpainted). I like getting a quote for the entire build rather than a day wage (that way you know where you stand). For a Modern Cabinet build you are Probably OK as it is a easy build (but it still may take more than one day). Realy if you think about it there is only two reason for him to quote a day wage--1. he thinks he can finish it in a few hr. and get paid the day wage. 2. he knows is will take more than one day.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Anymore on this project?