The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Needle through arm squeeze bulb came off--what adhesive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
546 Posts

Profile of travisb
I imagine just about anything that will stick to the various materials would function, but is there an ideal one?

Travis
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What model do you own. Originally, the bulb were not very good and would rot over time after being used. Now they're at least 3 or 4 different manufacturers of this product all using different materials. What I would do 1st contact the dealer you purchased it from or contact the manufacturer on the instructions if any is shown. The best models do show the manufacturer.

If you do not want to do the above, and your bulb is not torn, then try a silicon rubber glue. Elmer's Stix All is also excellent. If your bulb is torn off, then you will have to purchase a new on or search the internet for a similar product. Again, if you know who made it the may be able to supply a new blub.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Plumbing Goop. Flexible, water tight, clear color, very adhesive.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
When the bulb on mine corroded. I replaced it with an imitation silicone grape. You can find it on most kitchen decor supplies where they sell realistic fruits.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
546 Posts

Profile of travisb
Thanks guys! My bulb just fell off, it didn't rot or tear, so I think I'll just go to the hardware store with the list of adhesives suggested here, and see what they've got.

Travis
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Mine is viking. It's a screw on type bulb. When storing it I try two avenues. One talcum powder or better rub the bulb with vaseline.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 22:29, Lou Hilario wrote:
When the bulb on mine corroded. I replaced it with an imitation silicone grape. You can find it on most kitchen decor supplies where they sell realistic fruits.

what a clever idea Lou!! Why did not I think of this...thank you for sharing the idea.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2378 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Ok, so the bulb on my needle is torn (official Harry Anderson model), I've got a nice bunch of grapes from Michael's to choose from, thinking of using one of the bigger ones for larger capacity. It sounds like Plumbing Goop is the way to go, and it looks like Home Depot carries it, sooo....

(1) The holes in these grapes are easily 2x larger than the size of the needle, maybe 3x. Any special concerns there?

(2) Any recommendations on how to ensure no adhesive gets into the needle?

(3) Any special preparation (e.g. do I need to roughen the surface of the needle?)

(4) How long should I allow the glue to set before testing everything out?

* One idea I have to address (1) and (2) is to build up some glue on the part of the needle that the grape opening needs to sit, allow it to fully dry, and then slide the grape over that for a slightly snug fit. I could then see if that's "good enough" and leave the bulb removable, and if not quite sealed enough, apply more glue to the outside for a full seal.

** Another idea is to fully seal the opening in the grape with the glue, let it fully dry, then use a pin to make a small hole in the seal, and push the needle in through that. I think I like this approach better but am wondering if that will just end up pushing the glue "plug" into the grape instead of making a smaller hole?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A dremel with a tiny drill bit might be better for making the hole.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Another somewhat random thought... Instead of building up glue on the needle I could use some bits of heat shrinkable tubing. Less mess, no hole to poke... Think I'll try that approach first.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Considering the stress it will be under, I would opt for a flexible adhesive like Stick N Seal Ultra. I would use a bead cap with it (look them up if you don't know what they are). You can get them at crafts stores. Thread the bead cap on the bulb end of the needle first. Then push the needle into the bulb about halfway. Apply adhesive around the opening and on the outside of the needle where it contacts the bulb. Twist it slightly as you push the needle further in, and then slightly back the needle out a little bit. The goal is to get a little adhesive to build up around the opening INSIDE the bulb. This should also avoid getting any into the end of the needle.

If necessary, apply a little more adhesive to the outside near the point of contact and slide the bead cap up to the bulb. The cap should contact the adhesive so it will glue it in place also. This cap works as reinforcement and also is a nice decorative addition.

Adhesive on the inside and the outside will form something similar to a rubber grommet, making it far less likely for the parts to pull apart.

Set it so all the parts will stay in alignment and allow to cure for about 24 hours.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Thanks for the info -- especially the tip on the bead cap. I'll be sure to do that given as you pointed out, it's both physically functional and adds an aesthetic that helps sell the needle as a hatpin.

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Considering the stress it will be under, I would opt for a flexible adhesive like Stick N Seal Ultra. I would use a bead cap with it (look them up if you don't know what they are). You can get them at crafts stores. Thread the bead cap on the bulb end of the needle first. Then push the needle into the bulb about halfway. Apply adhesive around the opening and on the outside of the needle where it contacts the bulb. Twist it slightly as you push the needle further in, and then slightly back the needle out a little bit. The goal is to get a little adhesive to build up around the opening INSIDE the bulb. This should also avoid getting any into the end of the needle.

If necessary, apply a little more adhesive to the outside near the point of contact and slide the bead cap up to the bulb. The cap should contact the adhesive so it will glue it in place also. This cap works as reinforcement and also is a nice decorative addition.

Adhesive on the inside and the outside will form something similar to a rubber grommet, making it far less likely for the parts to pull apart.

Set it so all the parts will stay in alignment and allow to cure for about 24 hours.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Waiting 24 hours before I test it out, but everything looks good.
I built up the thickness of the needle with a few layers of heat shrink tubing until the opening of the grape just barely cleared it, then sealed it up with plumber's goop, finishing it off with a bead cap pressing more goop against the end. Thanks again to Michael for that idea. I think this looks much better than the original and the cap will help with the seal. Before and after pics:

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Looks good! Hope it works for you!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company