The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Attaching fabric to aluminum frames? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hey all,

I'm working on a new effect which consists of a cabinet frame made of aluminum. I want to make all the side surfaces from spandex material, but I'm not sure of the best way to attach the fabric. If the cabinet frame were wood, I could staple or tack it in place, and if necessary, add a decorative strip on the inside to hide the staples, but with aluminum, ??? I could always attach a wood strip to the inside edge, then staple to that, but two problems there- first, that would require screws or fasteners going through the aluminum to hold the wood to the inside (going for a clean look here) and second, a wood strip attached to the inside edge would set the fabric back that extra thickness away from the metal frame, and I need it to be right against it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Phil
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Velcro with one side attached to frame using adhesive, the other sewed to the material. This should allow you to stretch the spandex tightly to the frame.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I would try a good quality Carpet Double Stick Tape. Be sure to use FULL LENGTH strips the cover the entire surface of aluminum in which the fabric will make contact.
Place your tape and them stretch the fabric over (using 2-4 people) burnish the fabric down and trim excess fabric.
Try it on a test panel and see how it works.
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
How about a simple hem? If you hem a cuff on the corners, shouldn't that keep it in place? Not sure of the illusion or its' intended use, just an idea.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 08:10, thegreatnippulini wrote:
How about a simple hem? If you hem a cuff on the corners, shouldn't that keep it in place? Not sure of the illusion or its' intended use, just an idea.

Sorry, I should have been more clear- a hem would work if this was a panel made of aluminum rod or similar, but this is actually a six sided box/cabinet which is made of welded aluminum angle. I need the solid side panels to be spandex and they need to attach cleanly to the inside so that the box looks good from the outside as well as the inside. Thanks all so far!

Phil
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What about snap fasteners? One half of each snap is attached along the inside surfaces of the aluminum angle. The other halves attach to the fabric along the corresponding edges. If you have cut the fabric sufficiently larger than the finished size needed, then you can turn the snap embedded edge(s) over, and sew in place as a hem. This way, the snaps will only show from the one side, and will be hidden when the fabric is snapped in place.

Use a heavy interfacing, or strip of twill tape, maybe 1" wide inside that hem, and it will produce a nicer, crisp edge with minimal pulling between the snaps. You can even buy snap tape, which already has the snaps along the tape, but those are likely to be lighter weight. If you make your own, you can use heavier, industrial type snaps (like on a covering tarp for a truck bed, etc.).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
How about adding a second piece of angle to the inside and capturing the fabric between them?
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Chance and Chill are spot on. I combine both techniques. Carpet tape is used first, then covered with angle aluminum to make it clean and more secure. Works great.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Some great advice by total pros!

For me, it's not just about mounting but reparability. Spandex surfaces WILL wear and need to be replaced in time so don't box yourself into a corner with out a way out. The trick is having frames that you can take apart to remount new fabric when necessary. The carpet tape/finishing frame should do this perfectly but just don't lock anything down permanently.
Ray Pierce