The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Best black art material... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
I just saw a posting on the magic auction for dead black velvet. I just wanted to share a source I would go to for the stuff. I don't think this is the same stuff but it is great for small applications inside tubes and boxes. It is telescope flocking material, it is designed to absorb light to increase contrast while looking at objects in space.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_flok.htm

click on the extreme application link on the page to see if it is durable for transporting to your next gig.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the source. Similar stuff is available from other sites too, including Edmund Scientific. It's good stuff, blacker than many other common fabrics used for such devices. It's also self-adhesive, which makes it a snap to use, compared to gluing actual velvet. I've been using it for some time now. I was also impressed with the durability. Fingernail scratches simply do not show up as they do on other fabrics. Aside from catching lint, the interior of black art devices stay nice and clean.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Veteran user
Flint, Mi.
303 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Hey Michael, did you ever get any of the fabric I told you about from McMaster Carr? If so how does this productor your other source compare to that? Thanks..

Mike
Be Young...Have Fun!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use that stuff too. It is great!

I wish I could find some of the material that's in my Elusive Bunny Box (Abbott's). Does anyone know what it is called or where to get it?
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I purchased some from Edmunds and from McMaster Carr at the same time to see which product was going to be better for a project I had on the table at that time. I'd say it's a toss-up. I've used both for a number of projects, and would use either interchangeably. One advantage to the McMaster Carr product is that it comes in wider widths. This may matter to some users depending in the size of their project. I can't really speak to durability of either, as that would require use over time to know. Most of the things I make are delivered to customers.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
The flocking material from Scopestuff is the very thing for something I'm designing. Thanks for posting the link, mrmetropolis.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.