The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Prices of Osbourne illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
I am a young magician wanting to spend as little money as possible. Does anyone know how much it would cost to build the following with the Osbourne illusion plans: cane cabinet, packaging crate substitution trunk, palequin, and the dagger chest?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Luke,

Welcome to the Café.

I'm going to try and save you some money, time, and possible frustration. Anything left over will be the fun part! Smile

First of all, illusions are usually not cheap to build. There are a lot of things that are needed to build even the simplest of them.

Do you have tools and a workshop (garage, basement, etc.)?

Assuming you do, do you have building skills, or will you be guided by someone who does?

Assuming you do, do you have a place to store these illusions once they are built? They usually take up considerable room, even when they break down for packing.

Assuming you do, will you have a means to transport them to a show?

Assuming you do, I won't go any further asking about where you may intend to perform them, have assistants to help you perform them, etc. That's your business.

Ok, let's talk about the plans. Osborne plans are not ideal workshop plans. They are nice to look at, and have the basic dimensions of the illusion, but they typically lack the specific information that you'll need, especially if you are new at this. In most cases, you may be forced to re-draw the plans with cutting lists, etc.

Start first with a single project... let's say the Palanquin. It is a fairly easy build, and not terribly expensive.

Look at this website... http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbott-Plans_c42.htm

Abbott's plans are only $5.00. They are not necessarily beautiful to look at, but at least you can build something from them. They have the Palanquin plans.

Once you receive them, look at the required panel pieces, and estimate how they will be laid out on a sheet of wood. This will tell you how many sheets of wood you may need (plywood typically comes in full 4' x 8' sheets, but half sheets and quarter sheets are also available at most lumber yards/homebuilder's stores).

Now look at the other wood pieces... anything that must be made from 1x6, 1x8, etc. Estimate the total length you'll need, and that will give you an idea of how much you'll have to buy.

Count the hinges, and any other hardware, including screws, nails, casters, etc. Add those to your list.

Now add glue, sandpaper, primer, paint, brushes, and anything else that may be needed to finish the job.

Add to the list any tools that you don't have that you will need to do this. Don't overlook blades, drill bits, etc.

Now take you list to your local Home Depot, Lowes, etc. along with a pencil. Leave your wallet at home. You won't need it this trip.

Write down the cost of everything on your list, and take the list back home.

Now add everything up. Add a minimum of 25% to the total in case you've overlooked anything that must be bought later to finish the job. Don't forget your local sales tax. too.

If you are still ok with what you have researched, come back here with your list and we can take it from there...

:)

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

I'm really looking more at the cane cabinet snd subtrunk. and I have all the requirements you assumed I had Thank you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Then buy the needed plans and do the same as I suggested.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Could you give me an estimate at what you think they will cost. Thanks for directing me tworads the abbot plans
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
You're going to need to do your homework. For a very rough cost on a sub trunk, calculate your dimensions (depth, width, height) and then figure how much 1x6 you'll need to build a box of that size. Add in enough 2x4 to surround it twice (for bracing), and that's your rough lumber cost. You'll want to reinforce the sides with steel L bars, so multiply the height by 4 and there's some more cost. And then add 25% for extra hardware, and like Michael said, another 25% for unexpected costs. (Then an extra 25% anyway because you will overrun your cost, especially for your initial projects.) oh yeah, another $20 for sealant and brushes, maybe $10 or so for consumables like sandpaper and filter masks.

Illusions are really expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

If anyone has built a subtrunk with the osbourne plans please tell me what you spent.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lumber prices constantly change, if someone told you what they spent, it would mean nothing to you, as your area and your local lumber company's prices would be different. Not to mention the different types of woods and grades of woods to chose from all affect the price.

You stated you are young, so if you are in high school, go see your wood shop teacher. He can answer all your questions and help figure out the things that are not on the plans.

You might even go to a local lumber company and they could help figure out what you need. As they are in the business of selling, just make sure you go to a 'real' lumber company and not Lowe's type places.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
$274.69
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
My Dad says he did it for £4/2s/6d.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Idotrix gave you his price. For you, it's meaningless. You will probably spend more.

By the way, beware the Osborne plans for the sub trunk. The way it's drawn, there is no standard dimension of lumber you can use to build it. You will have to recalculate and redraw the plans yourself.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
To paraphrase Wmhgbli...costs vary on where you live, the type of wood used, quality of hardware and fasteners and the type and quality of finish applied.

Conservationists in California have passed laws that make spraying lacquer illegal. The alternative automotive paints can run into hundreds of dollars for a full size stage illusion. These factors make anyone elses "guestimate" of costs irrelevant. I know you don't want to spend any money unwisely and would like to know the costs going in but $5.00 for the plans is an inexpensive education even if you decide not to build the illusion. After receiving the plans, study them carefully until you understand what they are showing you (not always intuitively obviously) then follow Michael Baker's advice above.

The skill of the builder also impacts the cost. One mis-measured cut and you may need to buy a new piece of stock. Do the research. Do the math. Then Once you understand all that is involved, do your project and see what it actually costs. The only estimate that is any good is your own...and the first few projects those will probably be low!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This kid does not want to hear suggestions, he only wants to know how much each of you spent on building a Trunk. He says he has a full shop and knows everything about building. All he needs is your price and he is good to go.

Here is his other forum in the Workshop area of The Café:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=7#7
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Redshift he does not want to hear anything but price. I can put a sub trunk together for fifty bucks. I can make one for four thousand. He doesn't even know anything about this. He is asking for the teachers advice and ignoring them.
Luke, read the advice that you are getting, replay with a Thank You, and start do research. We are not being hard, just honest.
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thank all of you for your tips. I will definetly use them.