The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Non-toxic substance to prevent latex sticking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
I am working on developing something that has a piece of latex folded up. Please can someone suggest a completely non-toxic substance to prevent latex sticking together?

Talcuum Powder is no good - its toxic.
Vaselene - is this completely safe?
Any other transparent substance that would prevent the layers of latex staying flexible and smooth and not sticking together?

Hope you can help please.

Thank you.
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
Cornstarch is edible, and has similar properties to talc.
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
CORRECTION:

My apologies but I noticed an error in the wording of my original question:

"Any other transparent substance that would prevent the layers of latex staying flexible and smooth and not sticking together?"
SHOULD READ:
"Any other transparent substance that would allow the latex to stay flexible and smooth and prevent the layers of latex sticking together?"

Hope that clarifies things.

p.s. Thanks for the cornstarch idea, I'll look into it.
But are there any other more oily substances that may stay on the latex more permanently than cornstarch?
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Vegetable oil, Kay-Y, Gig-a-loo ( I think it's written like that).
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
How about PAM cooking spray, or soemthing similar? That can't be toxic.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Many hardware stores sell a product called PLASTI-DIP... in a spray can. If you can't get it in the UK, I'd be surprise.. but you CAN mail order it.

Get the CLEAR spray.. spray your latex. Let dry.

It doesn't take a heavy coat.. just a light mist.. sometimes in more than one coat.

It will solve your problems.. even if the prop gets wet.

Anything Petroleum based.. vaseline or W-D 40 or whatever.. will rot your latex surprisingly fast.

Honestly, you don't want anything oil based... it will eat the paint on the prop.. and generally isn't good for it.

Cornstarch baby powder will work, but it has to be repeated fairly often.. and can cause a "poof" of dust whenever the air comes out of the prop. For many reasons, I prefer cornstarch baby powder to talc when I'm making masks and props for my business. (www.makeupguy.com)
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Thanks for your help everyone and for the detailed and informed answer Makeupguy. Yes Plasti-Dip is available in UK, they appear to be based in Hampshire. Unfortunately I have now read the Safety Data Sheet for the product you suggest and it isn't pretty reading, it appears to be toxic and carcenagenic.

However I notice you discount 'oil based' products because they will destroy the paint on the latex. But I am just using unpainted latex so I wonder will a safe, non-toxic oil based product work do you think?

Thanks to Chance and Taiga for the suggestions on Cooking type products, this is the type of everyday 'safe' substance that I am hoping will work.
Any other susggestions or does anyone else have any experience and advice they can lend please?

Thank you.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Are you going to be eating from the prop? If you are.. you're far better off casting it in a Food Safe Platinum Silicone than latex.

Once the Plasti-dip dries.. it's inert. It's only the liquid form that's toxic. I spray it outside.. and let it dry outside. I use it to seal the paint on my rubber fruit, and once dried.. it creates an inert non-sticky very nice sheen.

the ONLY completely non-toxic substance that I'm aware of is the corn starch baby powder... but it will need to be re-applied... and will almost certainly create a cloud of dust whenever the prop is collapsed.

Nothing oil based.. vegetable or petroleum will be good for the latex in the long run. Even silicone oil will eventually break down the latex.
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Quote:
On 2011-05-28 20:06, makeupguy wrote:

Are you going to be eating from the prop?

Thanks Makeupguy.
The prop will be in my mouth sometime so I am seeking a substance that is non-toxic/non-carcinogenic and which won't congeal when it comes into contact with saliva.
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Oh and the other thing I forgot to add is that the prop is fairly cheap and easy to make, can be remade after every few performances if necessary. The issue to ensuring that it doesn't stick together as much as it is at present.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Can't you just describe the prop? It'll probably help in the long run.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
If it's going in your mouth.. I'd DEFINATELY use the Plasti-dip. It's the only think I can think of that will be waterproof.. and once dry, is completely non-toxic AND won't taste bad.

Again... I think you might be better off to make the gimmick out of silicone.. if you can't do it.. I can. Or, I can help you with it.. that way.. you have a gimmick that will last longer, and won't be toxic.. and you won't have to powder!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Have you considered the suitability of other materials? I'd hesitate to suggest any without knowing the purpose, but there may be other possibilities that are non-toxic, and more durable (and less sticky.)

By the way, repeated exposure to latex may eventually cause some people to develop an allergy to it. (Happens on occasion to nurses and doctors.)

Makeupguy may be right- and you can get both food-grade and medical grade silicone. You'll probably want medical grade, since it'll be in your mouth. (Food-grade is suitable for instances where it will come into contact with food.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Hello again folks. Good thanks to all those who made suggestions and offers on this topic, your advice and thinking led me to a solution that I already had here at home. Thank you and an Honourary Pretend Nobel Prize is awarded to Taiga who suggested Kay-Y - although I didn't use KY in the end but I tried a water soluble sex aid but it was too slimy but that led me to the good old jar of Vaselene (Petroleum Jelly) which did the trick.

I do recognise that a petroleum based product will be bad for the latex in the long run as Makeupguy pointed out, but my chief concern is not the latex prop which is very disposable and easy to make, my chief concern is that I am putting a safe product into my mouth that isn't known to harm me, and Vaselene is thoroughly tested to ensure it is safe to use internally. And it prevented the latex sticking together so has done its job.

I like the silicon based prop ideas though. If this ever becomes a commercial prop I may contact you to make a silicon version. Thanks for your help and wisdom.

Thank you,

Victoria.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
The idea of Vaseline in your mouth sounds awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2TKA7VBfYA
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
Parts unknown
18 Posts

Profile of blackguyver
Especially when you mix it with human hair.