The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tapped insert (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
OK, so now I'm trying to track down a tapped insert, if that's the name. They have knurled outsides for grabbing the host material, and tapped insides for receiving machine screws. I need a smaller size unit (since the host material is only 3/8" thick), and preferably made of stainless steel.

Suppliers, anyone?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Never mind, I think I found them -- at least in brass:

http://www.amazon.com/Headless-Z-Press-I......&sr=1-24
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My local Ace Hardware store has them in brass.

Look here for other materials:

http://threaded-insert.com/

Catchy URL, huh?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Very catchy! Too bad they sell them in bulk. I only need 50 pcs or so. Don't know what I'd do with the extra 9,950. Smile

The good news is Amazon has quite a few different versions in my size for around <.35ea. Right down my alley.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You'll have to pay shipping for most anything online. That could bump the "per" price up quite a bit.

Check your local Lowes. That's where I got the threaded inserts that I used for the Card Star stands that unscrew in the middle. I used 5/16", but they had several sizes. Home Depot, Menards, etc. should also have them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Thanks everyone. Going in I thought these would be rare, but it turns out they're like roaches. It's usually the small pieces like these that play havoc with my projects, especially since I'm on the road and doing all the work in a hotel room, so it's a pleasant surprise that this particular project is coming along so smoothly. At least for now. The week is still young!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Actually, they're much more useful than roaches, but probably not as "durable"...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 12:00, ClintonMagus wrote:
Actually, they're much more useful than roaches, but probably not as "durable"...

...and you don't want to step on either in your bare feet.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
A car parts store might have what you are looking for, too. And, in a smaller quantity. A few years back, my girlfriend's car blew a spark plug and it's housing right out of the engine block. So, I have to drill out the hole; re-tap it and put in a threaded insert that was the correct size for the spark plug, so it could go back in.

Sincerely,
David