The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Top hat table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Magic City wholesales a table, Eureka base with plastic top-hat attached.

I really like the idea of a top-hat table stand, but plastic?
Has anyone tried to attach a flange to a real ( or collapsable) felt top-hat
Will the felt hat be strong enough?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The hat isn't supposed to be able to support weight, but acts as a container for catching cards you produce, or silks and such.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Understood, but the question remains.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
OK, I just wanted to make sure you understood how it works. In that case, attach a flange to a disc of plywood or hardboard the same diameter as the hat you want to convert. Make a small hole in the top of the hat (felt, collapsing, even one of those dollar store collapsing hats) and insert the flange through the hole. Glue the inside bottom (top?) of the hat to the wooden disc and you'll have your table-top-hat. If the hat is a collapsible one, open it up first before screwing it on the base. If you wear the hat (of any type) tilt it back so the flange can't be seen until you are ready to screw it on the table base. The final action of spinning the flange to tighten it makes a perfect moment for stealing the pack of cards or whatever you plan to produce.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Thanks Professor.
Also hoping it will hold the dice from my breakaway die box............it should if placed in the center of the hat.

A top hat on a table base makes for a smart looking prop in my opinion.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For what it's worth, I made a small round table top to fit on a base that I use. This top is only about 7" or 8" in diameter, and the hat simply sits, inverted on top of it. It is not attached, which has many advantages, and the small, thin table top pretty much disappears under the hat. From a couple feet away, it looks like any other hat table.

But for completeness, the earlier hat tables were canes that became table stands, knob end springing legs was downward, and the ferrule was up. Because of the tapered shape of the ferrule the hat had a large metal grommet in the center of the top, and the ferrule poked through that grommet an inch or so, and held the hat in position.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's used to make a simple cane to top hat, with those cheap wood canes available at costume stores. They just placed the cane in a block of wood on the stage and the hat had a block in it as well, attached to a circle of wood on the inside of the hat. The narrow end of the cane went into the hat which had a hole drilled into it. If the cane tip is replaced with those soft white plastic end caps made, it gives a better fit when pushed into the whole.
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1200 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I used to have the Nielson collapsing top hat and cane to table, it was top of the line. If you can find a set now the price is astronomical!